• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

a riddle solved!!!

oldgabe

Loc.
Lewiston
Just wanted to post a note to let everyone know there are answers. My first riddle was why my ammeter bouced all the time. I replaced my fusible link and all wire pertaining to the alternator, checked the meter, went thru variuos test procedures, with no results. Well a few weeks ago my ignition switch failed. I pulled it out and checked it, fryed too much heat. I got the replacement(16 bucks at local auto parts) and lo and behold when I installed it no more bouncing ammeter. Solution #1, Number 2 was alittle more mystifying. I took the old truck out for a spin, gont on the road and the hood flipped up and cented my halfcab and wrinkeled the hood. Ok I must have hit hard and shook the latch loose. A few minor repairs and I can get a new hood. About a month later and I took it out for a test drive with a new water pump sans the top this time as it was BEAUTIFUL weather. Drove out onto the road the same way got abobout to the same spot and BANG here goes the to again and this time my head was not protected. OUCH! for the life of me I could not figure out why the hood was popping open. This time i had to replace the hood right then, and in went the hood pins.I spent quits abit of time lookig for what could have caused this to happen, no luck. Then one day i was working near the truck and looked up to see my 5 yo walking back and forth in front of the truck and every time he passed the hod latch he would give it a pull, another mystery solved. Just some of the strange ways thiings have of happening with out us know it :eek:

fwilder

Mine has always bounced. How much is that switch? Have a part number? Actually I think all of my gages are screwed up. Speedo jumps around, Gas never goes above 3/4, oil pressure has always read about 30 (diff motors), bouncing alt meter, and the thing normally runs at 170. I did over heat once and it read higher. Maybe that one is okay. Go figure. I'm so used to what they read I know when I'm in trouble.

YellowBronc

Bronco God
Glad to hear the mysteries have been solved. I have to admit though, the 2nd mystery has me giggling! Kids will do the funniest things sometime.

GRIZZLY

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lakewood, CA
Your hood story definitely hits home.

I lost mine when my son was 16. He thought he needed a jump and pulled the latch while I was under his hood and found loose connections. It about knocked me out too as it folded over the windshield. Then it was fun hanging out the window to see until I got it off the road.

Glad you got everything figured out.

OP
OP
O

oldgabe

Loc.
Lewiston
I still laugh about it too, and he loves the truck. I bought the switch at a local parts plus store for 15.72 plus tax. Ill try and locate a part number. The local store beat everyones price,really suprised me!

74BroncoCO

Bronco Guru
"now son, you have to ask Daddy to pull that lever because it really hurts daddy if you don't OK?"

That is a pretty funny story!! Sorry it cost you two hoods, but that's something you can tell his first girlfriend.

J.D.

mtkawboy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Billings Mt
After my motor was destroyed by ball bearings on the secondaries of the carb I put a masterlock contractor cable on it attached to an eye bolt in the hood brace and wrapped it around the frame a few times and locked it to itself. Very expensive lesson, ruined my good motor and had to put a rebuilt stocker back in.

flint_knapper

BRONCO GOD
Loc.
Harvest, AL
I was at a buddys house a few years ago, he had a 9"
housing sitting on some stands with the axles pulled.
We noticed that his 5yr. old son was pitching little plastic
army men down the tubes. ;)

OP
OP
O

oldgabe

Loc.
Lewiston
SeaBiscuit68 said:
About your hood, I have to ask. Why didn't the safety catch prevent this?
I havent figured that out< I live off of Hwy twelve in Idaho and there are some pretty awesome potholes next to the road. Might have negated the safety. It wont happen again!