View Full Version : Thompson pump Upgrade???

spatacuulous
03/17/06, 04:53 PM
Converting my Straight Six 170 to power steering was no easy task by any stretch of the imagination. All sorts of fabbing work that I wasn't ready for, but it still came out wonderful. The problem is that the stock Frod Thompson pump that I installed was beat and used up like a 45 year old prostitute.

It just went yesterday and dumped all the fluid onto the garage floor.

What I'm wonering is, If I go with the Napa pump that I've read about, the Delphi lookin' one, does the bolt pattern match the original Thompson
pump's? Like I said, it's a str8 six, but the Thompson pump bolts up perfectly.

I'd appreciate any help with this guys.

Thanks,

Frank

broncnaz
03/17/06, 11:14 PM
The saginaw pumps dont bolt up to the stock ford brackets you may be able to modify them to work though

thesnake
03/18/06, 09:10 AM
I'm under the belief that it will work, (the napa pump). It fits the stock bracket that housed my factory pump. I'd suggest running your pump into napa and comparing the mounting points with the napa pump. I'm almost certain it will work, but not 100%.

John

spatacuulous
03/19/06, 05:50 PM
Thanks guys. I'm gonna run the old pump in tomorrow and I'll let you know.

-Frank

Broncoman
03/19/06, 09:04 PM
You can use the stock braket on a saginaw(20-8610 in this case). Changed the shape of one hole and drilled another. Its still not all together but its getting there.

Gummi Bear
03/19/06, 09:09 PM
You can buy an adapter plate from PSC to make the Saginaw pump bolt right up to the Ford bracket. I have one on mine.

www.pscmotorsports.com

Talk to Tom or Karl, both are great guys.