• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Starters

BUCKETOBOLTS

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Salisbury, NC
I'm swapping out my manual for a C4. I looked at one parts house web site and they list 2 different starters, one for auto's and one for manual tranny's. Then another site gives the same part # for the two applications. What is the difference in the starters? My manual starter looks like it should work fine on the C4, unless there is something I'm over looking.

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
Auto and manual starters have different part numbers and cannot be interchanged.....Something about the placement of the starter gear.

I know one thing is you could use any starter for a core. Don't say a thing and the workers at Checkers won't know the difference. ;D

RRRAAAYYY2

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Brantford, Ontario
The pinion gear in the manual starter sits a little lower than it does in the auto starter. This is because the manual ring gear is a little larger. the starters are more matched to the ring gears than the transmissions.