• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Edelbrock Intake and Cam

z70what

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Johnson City
ALright guys, i've got my 351w finally. Getting ready to order a couplt things for it. I have always gone w/ and liked the flow of edelbrock's intake manifolds. My question is this, which one should i get (part number from summit) so that my truck avenger carb and air filter will all fit under the hood? I may go w/ a 1" or 2" body lift, but don't want to. Also, i don't understand cam size and specs. I want a good nice sounding cam for low end torque and mainly good sound at idle (radical cam). What should i go w/ for my 351W?? thanks guys.

Luke

slcpunk

Loc.
The WB, UTAH
you should take a look at the edelbrock website... it will show you the power curve of the intake/ cam combos.

I would either do the performer or the performer rpm; if you dont need top end power then go performer for the bottom end grunt.

you could also give them a call I bet they are cool to work with plus they now there stuff.

minimatt

I just spoke with the Edelbrock guys Saturday at the March meet in Bakersfield about this. You are pretty much stuck with the Performer and even it may not fit under the hood with no body lift. The Performer rpm is about 3/4" taller than the Performer. If you aren't running aftermarket or ported heads, I'd stick with the Performer. As far as cams go, you can't have it all. Nasty sounding cams generally have narrow lobe separation angles (narrower power band) and/or long duration and overlap (high end power at the expense of low end power). Books have been written on the why's and what's of this subject. So for the low end you are looking for, you would want something with around 214-220 deg duration @.050 lift and a lobe separation angle no less than 114 degrees. Pretty smooth idle and good vacuum. Edelbrock's cam and intake packages work very well and I'd start there.