• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Hydro Boost

BLAKEBRONCO

Loc.
Cumming Georgia
Guys,
Your write-ups for Hydro-boost have been great; I think I've read all the post associated with them. I am in the process of adding the Astro conversion to my 72'. I wanted a slight angle in order to maximize the clearance with the engine, so I began playing around with mounting methods. So far, I think a 10 - 13 degree angle is just right - this allows the push-rod to still be mounted purpendicular (spelling) to the firewall. Being the know-it-all that I am, I elongated the original hole in the firewall upward about an inch to give me more clearance over my steering. After doing so, now I have an elignment problem with my pushrod-pedal connection. Have any of you guys made any brackets that may correct this problem?

Hunter

Loc.
Coeur d'Alene ID
Like you, after reading all the hydroboost threads, I'm going to swap one onto my '72. One of the things I was wondering about, that might help the angle thing, was possibly cutting the end of the push rod off, and putting a hem-joint in its place. That way it should still transmit the push of the peddle, but allow the rod to move a bit into the angle. Sorry, don't have a cure for you, just some food for thought... %)

OP
OP
B

BLAKEBRONCO

Loc.
Cumming Georgia
Thanks Hunter,

I was thinking about something like that, but what I'd really like to do is raise the connection location from the brake lever. I mounted my booster so high, (for clearance), that as I'm pressing the pedal, the angle of the push rod is such that the push rod hits the booster housing after only 1/2" or so of movement.

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
3/8" heim ends worked for me... ;D

Attachments

• DSC00960.JPG
    DSC00960.JPG
    146.6 KB · Views: 82
  • DSC00961.JPG
    DSC00961.JPG
    152.1 KB · Views: 65

TOFIC

Bronco Wrencher and Fixer
Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
As Todd has not said anything yet I will throw in my 2 cents worth.
Any angle of the actuating rod usually means problems with a Hboost install.
The most I have got away with without digging for trouble is about 6 degrees off center. After that binding starts occuring and that ain't good.
If you are that far off I would recommend moving the pedal or at minimum move the pivot point to the other side of the pedal.
Try and keep this rod straight or you will be fighting with it.
TOFIC

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
TOFIC said:
As Todd has not said anything yet I will throw in my 2 cents worth.
Any angle of the actuating rod usually means problems with a Hboost install.
The most I have got away with without digging for trouble is about 6 degrees off center. After that binding starts occuring and that ain't good.
If you are that far off I would recommend moving the pedal or at minimum move the pivot point to the other side of the pedal.
Try and keep this rod straight or you will be fighting with it.
TOFIC

Good advice from TOFIC. I would second his recommendations - if you're in a position where you're thinking about a heim joint, you're in a binding situation and you're going to wear out the seals on the input shaft pretty quick, especially if you have one of the earlier units with single seals.

Todd Z.