View Full Version : more for you engine builders, SIDE PRESSURE

feitctaj
03/20/06, 10:13 AM
some very interesting readiing about side pressure, and the difference in side pressures of the 302 VRS 347

http://speedtalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2569

2badrotties
03/20/06, 04:19 PM
I know about pressure ! ;D I have experienced first hand what happens when you have too much ;D ;D This block actually " pulled apart " right down the center. Newer 5.0 blocks can't handle 600 hp ;D

bmc69
03/20/06, 04:26 PM
I know about pressure ! ;D I have experienced first hand what happens when you have too much ;D ;D This block actually " pulled apart " right down the center. Newer 5.0 blocks can't handle 600 hp ;D

:o ..can ANY except the R blocks handle 600 horsies? I've been very happy with the way my 440HP 302 MX racing motor has held together..Mexican block. But the way it was treated, there is no good reason it needed to hold together like it has. Can't say it 'owes' me anything. ;D

2badrotties
03/20/06, 04:48 PM
Mexican blocks are nowhere to be found around here. I did find an answer to my problems though in the way of a 69 Boss 302 block. :)

feitctaj
03/20/06, 06:01 PM
try craigslist 2bad, there were 2 in the last week in Seattle Cl

feitctaj
03/20/06, 06:04 PM
the interesting thing about the data in the thread , is that the 347 had less side pressure than the 302

dpmerrill
03/20/06, 06:45 PM
Very interesting reading, but I'm glad I was able to read at my own pace. If I would have had to comprehend that stuff at normal conversational speed, they would have left me at the starting line.

After reading the follow-up posts I felt like they weren't all convinced, although they did seem to agree that the differences may be nominal.

It seems like there are too many factors to account for with a few simple geometrical formulas (no matter how pissed "jaylude" seemed to be). I think I'd have to go with "jdperform": I don't know about all those formulas, so show me an engine with a few thousand miles on it...

feitctaj
03/20/06, 07:12 PM
thats the conclusion that I came to also,
but the math and their banter, back and forth was what I was interested in,
i love that site for it is more than dics brakes and efi, call me silly. But I read slow too

dpmerrill
03/20/06, 07:51 PM
thats the conclusion that I came to also,
but the math and their banter, back and forth was what I was interested in,
i love that site for it is more than dics brakes and efi, call me silly. But I read slow too
I agree! I bookmarked it in my "motorhead" section. I enjoy listening to engine geeks discuss/argue. Even when I don't understand all of it, I still get enough of it to impress my friends.

Interesting side-note: I read that Chevy is getting complaints about some of their small V8s having piston-slap. They shortened the piston skirts to reduce reciprocating mass and they raised the rings up on the piston to reduce unburned fuel around the piston crown. Now they can't consistently reproduce the tolerances needed to counter the side-loading.

...It's good to see that even the pro's don't get it right all the time.