• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Noise In Tetanus Shots T- Case

zombiescustoms

Loc.
Abingdon
I just finished my t-18 trans swap along with a late model motor, I don't have a tunnel cover in place yet, but I have driven it some and I am hearing a grumbling noise from the T/C I also did a twin stick while I had everthing apart, and if I run it in rear HI the noise is there, but if I put thr rear in neutral and the front in hi there is no noise, could it be the output shaft bearings?? I have never had the case apart, except for the trans swap and the roller bearings on the input looked fine.

Last edited:

oh2bnok

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Olathe, KS
Could be the rear output shaft needle bearings are starting to come apart. Sounds like what happened to my sons.

OP
OP
zombiescustoms

zombiescustoms

Loc.
Abingdon
I guess I'll just tear into it and find out myself, I picked up the bearings today got a full 30 pack and I'm out to the shop.

stlkikn

There is a possibility that you may have a problem starting in the double cardan for the rear shaft, or even just a u-joint starting to go bad...

OP
OP
zombiescustoms

zombiescustoms

Loc.
Abingdon
double cardan

well I pulled the rear output shaft housing and the bearings are fine, end play is fine, now I am at a loss, I tried jacking it up with it in 4th gear and listening with a stick while putting a load on the engine and I still could not isolate the noise, but it is defanatly near the transfer case, I just replaced the centering yoke on the double cardan, one thing I did notice after I assembled the double cardan was the needle bearings in the ball did not look like they were riding in the post, the yoke I used is a neapco 7-0042, thats the only one my parts guy had, but when I looked it up on the net, it lookes like I need a 7-0082, any one know the correct P?N for the centering joint????????????????

cmud

Loc.
Eastern Washington
I had a simmilar situation, could have swore my t-case was eating itself, ended up being my third member, broke my pilot bearing support. The sound/vibration traveled up the driveline, you could feel it in the t-case shifters. You'll find it eventually, good luck.

OP
OP
zombiescustoms

zombiescustoms

Loc.
Abingdon
well i pulled the pinion gear and housing out of the third member and everything looks fine in there too, this is driving me nuts, at this point I think I will just drive with the radio real loud!!!! I have checked everything from the fywheel to the third member and nothing!!!

OP
OP
zombiescustoms

zombiescustoms

Loc.
Abingdon
well yesterday I took the cover off the TC and every thing looked tight in there as well, so I'm back to the driveshaft, I talked to a guy at tom woods custom driveline and they can build one for about $250 with free shipping. at this point I think i'm just going to start replacing parts till the noise goes away!!!!