• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

stubborn gas tank bolts

JaxLax

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Jacksonville, FL
ok, trying to get the original skid plate off the stock gas tank so i can swap in the BCB 24 gal.
btt: my problem is that i'm cranking on these things and not getting anywhere. i can't see how i could use penetrant considering they are upside down, so gravity is now my enemy.

i guess i could jam the straw into the frame rails, but that doesn't help with the most forward ones (parallel to rear axle).

any tricks or lessons someone wants to share?

TXHusker

Loc.
Edmond, OK
I'm not an expert, but when I have those issues, I use an excessive amount of penetrating oil....spray the crap out of 'em, drink a beer, and resume bolt removal process. If this doesn't work, cut 'em with the torch..

pahoughton

Loc.
Colorado Springs, CO
I've found that Sea Foam works best in these situations. You still need to take a break and drink a beer, but the 'foam' soaks up into the treads better than PB.

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
When i run out of acetylene, i like the angle grinder with cutoff wheels.

TXHusker

Loc.
Edmond, OK
lonesouth said:
When i run out of acetylene, i like the angle grinder with cutoff wheels.

run out of acetylene, drink beer, grab angle grinder & get back to work. Isn't that what you mean? ;D

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
4 1/2" angle grinder with cutting wheels will do the trick.

Make sure you wear safety glasses and a face sheild while cutting with this... OK!

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Removal

Well Since It's A Gas Tank You Getting To ...i'd Forego The Tourch
Possible Fireworks If Your Has Been Leaking Like Mine
I'd Use My Die Grinder ....dont Forget The Eye Glasses ...
Also What's Your Problem With The 24 Gal Tank I Thought That Is What We All Wanted ...
I Was About To Order One
Thanks Pa Pitt

OP
OP
JaxLax

JaxLax

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Jacksonville, FL
PAPITT said:
Well Since It's A Gas Tank You Getting To ...i'd Forego The Tourch
Possible Fireworks If Your Has Been Leaking Like Mine
I'd Use My Die Grinder ....dont Forget The Eye Glasses ...
Also What's Your Problem With The 24 Gal Tank I Thought That Is What We All Wanted ...
I Was About To Order One
Thanks Pa Pitt

you mis-understood, i think.
i have no problems or qualms with the BC 24 gallon, my problem is the STOCK tank. The bolts holding it to the frame are not in the mood to cooperate

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
10-4

After I Reread Your 1st Post I See .....
Reason I Was Wondering Some One About 2 Months Ago Said They Like The 23 Much Better Than The 24 Gal So I've Been Wonder Where That One Gal Causes A Problem ...
Pa Pitt

OP
OP
JaxLax

JaxLax

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Jacksonville, FL
there is a problem with the filler hose sizes (they were different in 77 only? %) ) but other than that the only differences is the way they mount.
Chucks has an adjustable system so you can take advantage of a body lift if and when you add it, the NWMP ones are BL or no BL, so you can't change your mind later.