• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

5.0 EFI and C4 setup

TXHusker

Loc.
Edmond, OK
I am looking to add a 5.0L EFI to replace the stock 302. This will be my first swap so I have several questions:

1) I believe I can bolt to my existing C4 without the need for an adapter, is this correct?
2) Who is running a mass air vs. speed density setup? Which is better?
3) Anything that I should be concerned about? Any commonly made mistakes I should watch for?
4) Where did you locate the computer?
5) did your gas mileage improve? How much.

DebosDave'72

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Bozeman, MT
Ok, lets see if I can address a couple of your questions...

First off your C4 will bolt right to the back of the 5.0L, however, you need to have the correct flexplate for that engine. They are balanced externally with a weighted flexplate and harmonic balancer. If you are talking a 5.0L, it is generally a 50 oz. setup. You older 302 was balanced with 28 oz. parts. So, if the donor vehicle where you got the 5.0L was an automatic, use thaTt flexplate. If it came with an AOD, your C4 torque converter should bolt to that flexplate. The Flexplate and torque converter are the only two things to address as far as bolting up your C4 to a 5.0L.

To address the Speed Density vs. Mass Air, the mass air setup is more flexible. The speed density can be a good setup, but it doesn't have the flexibility for performance changes such as a cam.

The computer that you should look for is out of a 5.0L mustang, however, there are a couple other cars that had the 5.0L HO engine, I know a few Thunderbirds and Crown Vics had them too. You can find a donor car, and get the harness and computer, or you can search ebay or other used car parts resources. The mustang computer you want is the 89-93, the other cars would be similar years.

A great resource for the EFI computer and needs is www.fordfuelinjection.com

As to the gas mileage increase, it is there because of the nature of EFI, however most people are not switching for the gas mileage, the most common reason for moving to EFI is for offroad/rockcrawling, where the EFI is more reliable than a carbuerator in off camber situations. The mileage is a mere side benefit for these folks. I personally am moving to EFI because it is easier to run than a carb (most carbs are not properly tuned), with EFI, the computer does the tuning for you. If gas mileage is really your primary concern, you may be better off seeking an overdrive transmission at the same time to help with that....

I hope this helps a bit... if you need more help, just ask, there is a wealth of information on this subject out there!

What engine do you have? Where did you get it? Did the car you got it from have a computer and harness you have access to?

DD

OP
OP
TXHusker

TXHusker

Loc.
Edmond, OK
lots of questions from a first timer!

Thanks so much...

I am not afraid of the swap itself, but I do want to minimize frustrations along the way since I will be doing it myself.

Gas mileage is a mild concern, I would be interested in a tranny with overdrive, but have to wait on that for now. I am stuck in the middle of no where in respect to any accessible trails or mountainous regions, so I will have to drive several hours to get to the mountains.

I have not purchase a motor yet, but have looked at several.

I understand that I could convert a speed density set up to mass air without a whole lot of trouble. I also know that could cost approx $250 for parts. I would like to get the 5.0 and the AOD from the same vehicle to minimize issues. (are there modifications needed to accomodate the AOD? Is the AOD the best option for a truck that will be on the pavement 80% of the time? I have a lot of questions....)

Thanks again...