• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

4 point harnesses help..

benkokes

So I am in the mnarket for safety ;-) and I am wondering what harnesses to get.

It looks like there are several latching styles on ebay: duckbill, cam, seatbelt latch, pushbutton, etc..
It looks like some of them have a wide male portion of the latch and would jam into you gut or johnson if you slammed on the brakes...

Also there is the "Y" and "H" styles.. Since I have the recaro-esque seats(where the belts go through holes up by the shoulders) I figured I would need the "H" style...

And what about 2" vs 3" webbing?

Any guidance would be appreciated..

thx,
-Ben

bsaunder

Bronco Guru
Much of it is personal preference. 2" and 3" versions are SCCA approved, but NASCAR etc currently require 3". For DOT compliance the buckle needs to be a push button style and needs the words "press" or "press here" by the button. I have heard from several people that the push button ones are hard to release if your upside down, sideways, etc and hanging by the harness. Many love the rotary style latch, but in a high dust environment I have heard they gum up easily. For some people, the 3" feels great, for others it cuts into their neck or doesn't seem to conform to their waist. The 3" latch style is the most prevalent, but I do know of one person ticketed for wearing them while driving on the street (not likely to happen, just a heads up). For everyday use and non-extreme rock racing; the 2” may be more comfortable for many. The 2" belts are also generally easier to snug down and adjust, so if more than one person will use the same harness; a 2" could be safer if it's able to be adjusted better.

I tend to prefer the H style, but depending on where you are going to mount them, all three styles (H, V, or Y) could work in your seats.

Bottom line – get what you feel is comfortable so you’ll use them. If they are uncomfortable, you may not use them and then they are useless regardless of how good they should be.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I use the 3" RCI 'Y' style with the cam release in my trail rig...with Recaro style slotted seats. I use RCI or Simpson 3" with the latch on my race truck. I like the cam release a LOT better..and you can quickly release and tuck the shoulder straps around and behind the Recaros when you only want a lap belt..so you can lean out the side and see what your tires are doing for example.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Shoot..ignore my last. I can't count..I'm running 5-points with the 'crotch' strap. The cam being nice is still valid though %)

eds66bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Essex, Vermont
i put the corbeau double release belts in my back seat. they use a standard style latch for the belt and the shoulder harnesses are attached directly to the waist belt. i got these for the kids as they are very adjustable and don't need to worry about the kids not getting all the parts snapped together and hooked up correctly. they also have webbing flaps that go under the belts so they don't pinch while connecting or adjusting. the double release is nice as i have a fold and tumble seat. this would be nice in the front as well if you need to flip the front seats forward.

Attachments

• TopView.jpg
    TopView.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 64

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
I'm putting RJS harnesses in my rig, I was pretty torn between them and the Corbeau harnesses. Price ultimately prevailed for me. As far as function goes, they're equal.

http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?target=/egnsearch.asp&N=400095

Admittedly though, the Corbeau harness is completely idiot proof. It's sewn together, and one click gets you 4 point safety. Pretty darn slick.

http://www.corbeau.com/products/2_inch_belts/2_inch.shtml

Even cooler, if your rig is a daily driver, Corbeau has released a new harness that allows it to slide/retract like a OEM type seatbelt, and with the push of a button, it goes rigid. They're really darn cool, and if I were DDing my rig, I'd be all over it.

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
i got my lap belts from www.djsafety.com (their website is under construction, it'll be back up by friday). mine are 2" belts with cam latches, and they are DOT legal.

a little advise; if you have a dunlap (like i do), get the 2" belts. the 3" will be uncomfortable as hell!