• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bypassing Heater

PaulBronco

I'm pretty certain I have a cracked heater core (by the antifreeze all over my passenger floorboard) that I will eventually replace. Right now I'm short on time and would like to simply bypass the heater until I can pull the whole unit, replace the core and seal it up tight.

Temps are mild here, so I'm not worried about having heat until next fall.

Is there anything that I need to consider before doing this? Anyone do this before? Did you just use some hose and clamps or do I need anything else?

Thanks,
Paul

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Do it before?? LOL..prolly done that to every truck I've ever owned at least once in its life. Bypass it with short hose from nipple to nipple and be done with it.

silverbullet

Loc.
Columbia, MO
You could just unhook from the core by the firewall put a couple bolts in the hoses and hose clamp them. It would keep the xtra hot water out of the pump. Just my 02.

Dave

msweb

Bronco Guru
I bypass my heater core every summer. No problems at all, hook it up again when it starts to get cold. :cool:

TOFIC

Bronco Wrencher and Fixer
Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
I have a shutoff valve on mine, does not seem to hurt.
If i was doing the bypass, a short piece of hose from the pump to the connector on the intake manifold would do it.

TOFIC

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Just unhook the hose on the heat control valve that leads to the heater core.
Unhook the hose at the heater core that goest to the water pump.
Reattach hoses incorrectly.
Heater control valve stops water flow, seals off extra hose end as well.
Heater is looped back onto itself, waiting for the day you replace the core.
Nothing to buy except a little coolant to top off what is leaking out.

daddyg

Bronco Parts Collector
Loc.
Toney,AL
Mine is bypassed now. My shut off valve is pretty rusty so I just took a length of hose and ran it from the water pump to the intake manifold..

TOFIC

Bronco Wrencher and Fixer
Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
NC-Fordguy said:
I like the valve idea...what part did you use?

Ed
Got it from the rad shop guy. Had a whole herd of them. They take the place of the fitting on top of the manifold. It is a 90 degree valve, looks like a drain valve off the bottom of some ch**y rad. (see C***y's are good for something)
TOFIC

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Just pull the longer of the two hoses off at the block end. Then pull the opposite end of the shorter hose loose at the valve. Then loop that hose back up to where you pulled the other loose from the block.

jmhend

Bronco Guru
Has anyone tried to use a smaller heater unit? Like say out of an import?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hah! That's a good final addition to this one.
I've never heard of anyone doing it, but several have used tha aftermarket heater units (Mojave Heater I think?) to good effect.

But I'll re-hijack this one and say "don't let your leaks go on for very long" because that coolant vapor is nasty stuff on your lungs. Yeah, mine was an extreme case maybe, but never hurts to be safe when it comes to your lungs.

Paul

jmhend

Bronco Guru
sorry guys, I thought I would rather dig it up rather then start a new thread that the question was already answered. Thanks again guys...

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
No real worries jm. I got a kick out of it myself. And bowsher (although I can't really speak for him, I will anyway:eek: ) probably got a good laugh too, before he had some more fun at your expense. ;D I know I laughed out loud when he said it.
At least he reads the dates! I just went along blindly and stepped in like it was brand new.
I guess you just got "'bowshed", is all. Probably an honor of some type, somewhere. In honor of your soon-to-be-upcoming 25th post probably! After all, he didn't reach his lofty 13k+ posts by being a slacker and letting something as basic as this slip by him un-noticed!

Which all means it might make for a good Search for "Mojave heater" or something like that. Using "heater upgrade" would probably just net you more about the GM heater motor than other types of units, but still might be worth a try.

Good luck.

Paul

jmhend

Bronco Guru
No worries, if you can't have fun then you are not living. I am sure I will help get plenty of laughs along the way. I was just thinking something small and something that I can use that would not require me to cut that massive 5 plus inch hole in my "Virgin" tub and just find something that requires a much smaller hole (if a hole at all). And you never know this may become a new item to the forum.... If I am lucky I can even add AIR when I find what I am looking for. If I do I will post a "HOW TO", from a Newbie's perspective.