• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Steering Advice Needed (Pics)

astark

Contributor
Bronco God
Here are some pics of my 76 Y steering since 3.5 lifted. It just doesn't steer the same and I would like some advice.

I am considering Stone Crusher and have sent same pics to Anthony. But also considering Y to T conversion through Wild Horses 3 way adjustable. Then again we have Chucks new stuff. The Wild Horses riser versus drop bracket, etc.

I want very good steering and would like your opinion. Check out the pics and please advise.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0219.JPG
    IMG_0219.JPG
    98.6 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_0220.JPG
    IMG_0220.JPG
    98.8 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_0221.JPG
    IMG_0221.JPG
    110.2 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_0223.JPG
    IMG_0223.JPG
    93.5 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_0224.JPG
    IMG_0224.JPG
    89.4 KB · Views: 90

silverbullet

Loc.
Columbia, MO
Sorry no pics. I have the Bullet Proof (trail) steering and it is awsome. Didnt have it running before the upgrade but dont even use a dampener and she drives smooth. Right now I have a drop pitman but will be going back to regular when I move over the knuckles this weekend. I also have a 3.5 in lift.

Dave

Flash69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Southwest Va
Luke changed his y steering to the Stone Crusher a few weeks ago and he is really happy with it. It is really easy to change out. Cheaper than the others too.

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
I am going the stone crusher route as well on my 76, very affordable, strong and easy to install.

68ford

Bronco Guru
drop pitman arm without tracbar drop on inverted y set-up, BIG no no. i did that about 6 years ago because they sent me the wrong tracbar bracket, sketchy as all hell when you hit a bump, made my steering wheel go all over the place.
get bc's kit, its the only one that is correct,by the tierod not going all the way over to the spindle.
showphoto.php

http://classicbroncos.com/photos/showphoto.php?photo=3194&sort=1&cat=500&page=1

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
i second the BC setup. i've installed 3 of them, nobody's dissapointed with them.

get the BC kit, put your stock pitman arm back on, and do a TRO. no bumpsteer, and it gets rid of the extra leverage on the steering box. you'll probably want to get an adjustable track bar, get that from chuck too.

if you need pics of the BC TRO on jones' bronco, let me know.

Last edited:

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
AStark,

Definitely ditch the inverted Y setup, it's only going to pretzel on you sooner or later. All of the steering setups you mentioned before are very high quality, and you can't go wrong with any of them.

With 3-1/2" suspension lift, you DO NOT need a drop pitman, nor a track bar drop bracket (frame side). Get rid of either or both and go back to stock. Your track bar mount is close to the stock pitman height, and adding a drop bracket will goof up your geometry later on. A higher lift will warrant other considerations, but that's a moot point.

For a TRO install, you'll want a track bar LIFT bracket at the axle side, I have a WH, but it is my understanding that BC is going to introduce one soon. If you're planning to keep the tie rod under the knuckle (like stock) you do not need to do anything there.

The idea here is simple: When you hunker down, and get level with your steering linkage, the drag link should hide the track bar. When they're level, and near the same length, you'll not have any bumpsteer, and it will be able to flex to it's maximum potential without any bind from the steering components.

Whether you choose to go with heims or TRE's, is entirely your decision. For a DD rig, I like TRE's, for a trail machine, I like heims for the simplicity. I would not do stock TRE's, look for Chevy or Dodge 1 ton units just for the beefiness, and ready availability.

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
I did the F150 conversion 3-way adjustable tie rod setup about 6.5-7 yrs ago on my 76 witha 2.5 inch suspension lift (31s) using a drop pitman arm, adjustable track bar and drop track bar bracket....it rode great, handled great and had no real bumpsteer. Now that I am going to a larger suspension, extended arms and larger tires, I am removing the drop pitman arm for the track bar riser bracket and a TRO. My F-150 linkage had developed a slight inverted bow in it. I could reinstall and run it, but I figure the 35s will eat it sooner than later. With the 33s you are running, you are kind of on the fence....for the money of the F-150 linkage, I would go with the Stonecrusher or BCB setup....I am still not sure which one I will go with....they both appear to have great CS and excellent products. As far as what you need to run either one, I would rely on their knowledge and expertise and also "plan ahead". Good luck with your decision.

iwlbcnu

Bronco Guru
Right now the drop pitman arm is hurting you, the linkage and track bar need to be parallel. You have a 76 so can't go TRO as the tie rods will hit the rim unless you go F150 knuckles.

thumping

Loc.
Jacksboro Tn
Hello Alan. It is correct that the pitman arm is hurting you and the angle of the track bar does need to be the same as the drag link...or very close. As for going TRO, it can and has been done with 76 and 77 Bronco knuckles. It really depends on the back spacing of your wheels. Usually 2-1/2" will clear. Some have used wheel spacers when they didn't have enough back spacing instead of buying new wheels. I'll give you a call this evening and we can talk through some more options.

Anthony
Stone Crusher Steering Systems

Broncoman

Bronco Guru
I don't know if anyone noticed but his bronco is a 70 but has the 76-77 steering linkage. I would think he would need a drop trac-bar bracket. I have heard people say that it's not needed on a 76-77 but his frame is definitely a 66-75.

mstark

Loc.
Batesville Arkansas
broncoman said:
I don't know if anyone noticed but his bronco is a 70 but has the 76-77 steering linkage. I would think he would need a drop trac-bar bracket. I have heard people say that it's not needed on a 76-77 but his frame is definitely a 66-75.

It's a 70 Body on a 76 chassis, frame wise everything is stock except for the lift.

OP
OP
astark

astark

Contributor
Bronco God
I talked to Anthony at Stone Crusher and will go with his set up and back to the stock pitman arm.

I really appreciate all the advice and sharing of ideas.

Thank You all so much :cool: