• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Serpentine or V-belt for new 351?

bandit

Loc.
Afton
I'm in the process of deciding which engine to order this week.I was going to order that crate 351,250 h.p. engine,unless someone can convince me of a better buy?Can anyone tell me if going to a serpentine belt set up is worth it?I have had no luck with Summit or Jegs tech dept,all they say is get the mega buck March set up.I wanted a tension-er unit like the new trucks use,but the March has an adjuster rod,and I dont know how I could coordinate the proper shaft sizes of the new Power steering pump and alternator with the sizes that come with the March "set"?I could easily order the new pump and alt with a serp pulley,but am confused what else I could use to make it work right,and I wanted to get new brackets,instead of using the old ones.Any feed back would be appreciated,before I give up and go V-belt again.Also,the crate engine comes with a Duraspark dist,does anyone have feedback on these compared to an MSD dist.I have run MSD dist with great results,but there is an adapter to run the Durasprk with the MSD box.
thanks;
BANDIT

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
I know you want to get new brackets (Which is why I didn't respond over at BFix) but you will be way ahead if you find a stock setup instead of using all new aftermarket pieces. Buy the new accessories themselves if you want but use a bracket system that already has all of the bugs worked out of it. I.E. Find a good used one that is in excellent shape. That way you are not going to need to deal with any mismatched bracketry or a funky adjuster system. As to being worth it I'll never again use a V-Belt setup on the trail if I can help it. The serpentine is a lot more reliable and has a lot more surface area to run high draw accessories (I.E. Alternators, etc. that often tend to slip in v-belts).

OP
OP
bandit

bandit

Loc.
Afton
SaddleUp said:
I know you want to get new brackets (Which is why I didn't respond over at BFix) but you will be way ahead if you find a stock setup instead of using all new aftermarket pieces. Buy the new accessories themselves if you want but use a bracket system that already has all of the bugs worked out of it. I.E. Find a good used one that is in excellent shape. That way you are not going to need to deal with any mismatched bracketry or a funky adjuster system. As to being worth it I'll never again use a V-Belt setup on the trail if I can help it. The serpentine is a lot more reliable and has a lot more surface area to run high draw accessories (I.E. Alternators, etc. that often tend to slip in v-belts).
Did you get everything off one engine?Are you using a tension-er?What Pump and Alt are you using,did everything match the shaft diameters?Could you recommend a particular engine to look for,I am getting short on bucks,for everything,so your idea makes more sense?Do you know if a tension-er unit could be made to work on a 351(Ford Racing crate 250 hp),and if I would have to go reverse rotation water pump to go Serpentine?
thanks;
Donn

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
bandit said:
Did you get everything off one engine?Are you using a tension-er?What Pump and Alt are you using,did everything match the shaft diameters?Could you recommend a particular engine to look for,I am getting short on bucks,for everything,so your idea makes more sense?Do you know if a tension-er unit could be made to work on a 351(Ford Racing crate 250 hp),and if I would have to go reverse rotation water pump to go Serpentine?
thanks;
Donn
My setup is the drivers side portion of a 90 Crown Vic 5.0 setup. I run the stock 90 steering pump and a 94 Mustang alternator. This particular setup doesn't use a tensioner. Instead it has an adjustable alternator bracket. The Crown Vic setup actually uses 1 belt on each side however I don't run the passenger one (Smog Pump and AC compressor). This setup also is a standard rotation instead of reverse like most. I only used this setup though because it is what I had and it required changing everything from the timing cover forward. If I were to do a junk yard swap (Which I am actually working on) I would go with a van front dress that includes the Saginaw Steering pump in it already. (I'm actually down to only one remaining bracket to do this now) It will require putting the original 5.8 timing cover back on along with a new water pump. (My water pump started spitting out the drain hole about 8 months ago so it needs to be changed anyway) Option 2 which I would do if I could locate it at a reasonable price would be the front dress off an Explorer motor. Again everything from the timing cover forward.

70EB

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Gig Harbor
Bandit,

Do a search on my user name and you will find a writeup I did on the serp setup for that exact engine (what I have now).

Found it: http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80131&highlight=351W+serpentine

I used the duraspark dizzy with the adapter for the MSD and had no issues. There is no need to change the dizzy out if you are going to run a carb as the duraspark is a good unit. The MSD adapter is very straight forward.

I have since started my switch to EFI on that motor along witht he serp set up.

You can't beat the deal you get on that engine.

76 bronco J

Bronco Guru
the 96-01 explorer setup suggested by saddleup is almost at the top of the list for mods to my truck-- it offers the most clearance of all setups & has the most modern accessories-- as far as fit it seems as if it was made just for our trucks---there are few things to consider though------ if putting on a 351 the one piece balancer/pulley would have to be rebalanced to 28oz imbalance-- then although both aluminum brackets just bolt to each head on the lower passenger side the bracket ties in right there as bracing for the tensioner & lower idler pulley-- the problem may be since the 351 is a little bit taller the bolt hole on the bracket may not line up with the hole on the block, but something could be figured out-- below in the first pic there is a bolt behind the tensioner--& one other problem ,the water pump inlet is on the drivers side- edit.- one more issue the power steering resevoir will be have to be lowered as mine clears only with the profow hood & will be even higher with the 351 -- nice thing about this setup is there's no spacers or use of the water pump bolts as the bracket on each side go around the water pump-- also the stock clutch fan on the explorer is supposed to be very good however you do have room to run a sufficent size electric fan with good CFM ratings if you choose without cutting & sectioning ,but I did grind the threaded snout on the water pump more even more insurance on clearance for the electric fan I used

Attachments

• P6021508.JPG
    P6021508.JPG
    134.3 KB · Views: 38
  • P6021502.JPG
    P6021502.JPG
    148.2 KB · Views: 42
  • P6021504.JPG
    P6021504.JPG
    142.4 KB · Views: 29
  • P6021500.JPG
    P6021500.JPG
    147.3 KB · Views: 44
  • P6021497.JPG
    P6021497.JPG
    120 KB · Views: 29
  • P6021506.JPG
    P6021506.JPG
    139.7 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
OP
OP
bandit

bandit

Loc.
Afton
Thanks for the responses.It seems that changing out the timing cover for some reason is,is very common.I haven't ordered the engine yet,I might just order one with the serp system already on it,any ideas?I'm ready and have the funds available.I just don't have the same skill level to do what you guys do.I'm kinda one my own,limited in time,and tend to save harder and go the easier route lately.
BANDIT

70EB

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Gig Harbor
bandit said:
Thanks for the responses.It seems that changing out the timing cover for some reason is,is very common.I haven't ordered the engine yet,I might just order one with the serp system already on it,any ideas?I'm ready and have the funds available.I just don't have the same skill level to do what you guys do.I'm kinda one my own,limited in time,and tend to save harder and go the easier route lately.
BANDIT

On mine I did not change out the timing cover, still use the one that came with the crate engine. Just got the Mustang brackets and swapped them out.

Bronchole

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chatsworth, Ca (LA)
Bandit,

If you put something a little more descriptive for your location by your avaitar you might find some other people that are local to you that could come over on a weekend and lend a hand. Usually the state you live in and if your town is a micro town you might put in something like "near BFE" with your town.

Dan