• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Another Tranny Cooler Mounting Location Thread...

taxx

Loc.
Indianapolis
Well I mounted my new radiator today and ditched my tiny sploder tranny cooler. So its time to mount up the big dawg. I was originally thinking right behind the bumper parallel to the ground but I don't have the room I thought I would and It would be very un protected. There is ZERO room in my engine compartment. Overflow was already moved to make room for EFI intake and fuel pump and filter. Other side has the brake booster.

So I have searched and I still have one question maybe more. After a while thinking and rolling around the garage with it the best place I figure is under the drivers seat where the aux tank goes. Not too big of a problem, I can make some mounts. But which way do I aim it? The fan mounted to it is a puller. Should I lay it with the fan closer to the body and try to pull cooler air from the ground (main concern is on the trails and stop and go driving) or should I put the fan on the bottom blowing to the ground. The fan could help protect it. But I was thinking once mounted of making some sort of screen for protection.

Here are the pics of the two ways I have n mind to mount it. Will it really make any difference what so ever?

P6010327.sized.jpg

P6010328.sized.jpg

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
If you ever go out in the mud don't put a fan underneath. The mud will kill the fan. (Speaking from personal experience)

ransil

Bronco Guru
That is how I mounted mine, Don't know if its a good place but it was the only place it would fit.
I did fine it would not stay under 200 mounted there and I had to add a thin one in front of the radiator.

OP
OP
taxx

taxx

Loc.
Indianapolis
SaddleUp said:
If you ever go out in the mud don't put a fan underneath. The mud will kill the fan. (Speaking from personal experience)

Thats what I was worried about. That and temp stuff. I was affraid mud would coat it too and keep it from doing its job.

Not that I really care to play in the mud but it happens on the trail.

HMMMMM now where to mount this damn thing.... I really don't want to put it inside and I want it where it can get better flow than that anyway. In the front behind the bumper parrallel to the ground is where I wanted it but thats the first thing to go under water too. Could put it in front of the radiator but I would have to ditch my electric fan and thats not happening. I'll have to give this more thought tonight. Maybe I can rework my intake and fuel pumps and put it on the fender..... Doubtfull but maybe.

I was also afraid under the hood would be bad due to engine heat but several others claim it works... Damn, where is more room when you need it?

Any other ideas would be much appriciated.

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
I have two tranny coolers mounted directly in front of my radiator - no electric fan.

Steve

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grand Junction, CO
I have that exact same cooler/fan. It's been mounted under the driver's seat for two years now, with the fan on the bottom, with no problems. I don't do mudding in deep mud, and have had no problems at all with water/mud being splashed onto it.

bronconate68

Loc.
Vancouver, WA
I have the same cooler and fan also. I currently have it mounted on top of, and towards the front of, the drivers side fender well. I'm going to drill holes through the fender well to let cool air in. I have found that if the air temp out side is the slightest bit warm then their is not much cooling going on under the hood. I hate to drill the holes but I also don't want to mount the cooler exposed under the rig.

There are some out there that have removed the passenger side air vent and mounted this cooler in it's place under the hood.

OP
OP
taxx

taxx

Loc.
Indianapolis
I was thinking of removing the pass side airvent and doing it that way but I really don't want to pull my fender off and it is nice having the vent but I guess I could still pull air from the fender area. The other issue is I have plans to use that vent for cold air induction soon.

I was wondering how well a cooler would do under the hood on a hot day. Besides I don't want to move all my wiring and crap that is easy to get to for maintenance right now.

I don't do a whole lot of mud either but it happens out here in the midwest. I do however spend time running creeks up to my rockers so that may not be the best place either. Gonna have to find a way to put it in the grill I guess. Maybe I can squeez it in sideways and still keep my other electric fan. Time to do some re-engineering I guess

OP
OP
taxx

taxx

Loc.
Indianapolis
Well I just went out and did some more investigating. Its gonna have to go on the fender and I cam make some holes so it pulls colder air if need be. I think what I will do is take the old sploder one I was running and keep it mounted up in front of the other radiator as it is tiny and run both. Then before I drill holes I will see what temp the tranny is running at and how often that fan kicks on. ;)

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
FWIW, I plan to cut off the passenger side air vent at the inner fender. I.E. It will still have the rest of it from the side up to the top but the top section over the firewall will be removed. This will give me some extra room to mount stuff. I don't want to remove it completely because some others have reported that defrosting doesn't work very well when they do.

evil69

fawkin classy
Loc.
Athens, GA
What about mounting it to the inner fender between the inner fender and the outer fender? It would be out of the way from trail damage and you could build a plate to block rocks coming from the tires. I would think you could still get a fair amount of airflow since there is a decent gap between the two fenders and it has its own fan. Then again, maybe the heat would get trapped in the top of the fender? Just never seen anyone put one there and maybe there is a reason?

OP
OP
taxx

taxx

Loc.
Indianapolis
The air vent tube on the pass side is an ideal location. I just can't bring myself to cutting it. I really want to use that for a cold air intake setup if I can make it work (thats my next project) and then still be able to run the fan in the summer without pulling hot air from the engine bay.

I thought about the inner fender between the outer and inner too but its just not as big as it looks. My thoughts now are on the pass side fender and I will just cut out a bunch of the sheet metal if needed. Then if I do that to protect it from mud and rocks I will put a diffuser screen in there.

Thats my best alternative right now I guess. Gonna go yank the tranny and start going through it an dgetting the new one in so I will report this weekend where I ended up mounting and how well it seems to work.

But feel free to post more ideas cause I doubt I will get to mounting it tonight.

OP
OP
taxx

taxx

Loc.
Indianapolis
Well under my hood is now officially cramped. I got it in there and hooked up but I haven't driven it enough yet to get an idea on how well its working. I'll post up later this week with some pictures too.

OP
OP
taxx

taxx

Loc.
Indianapolis
Update:

Well I mounted it on the fender and I do not like it there. With the EFI it just makes things feel too cluttered and it forced me to move my air filter back and I think now with the hood closed the air filter is starving. So I think I will be moving that this weekend. Just not sure where too. I really wanted to build a cold air intake into the pass side vent intake so i don't want to remove that to put the trans cooler there, but if I put it underneath I am going to fry that fan real quick....

Descisions descisions....:p

P6060362.sized.jpg

evil69

fawkin classy
Loc.
Athens, GA
What about removing the driver's side vent and cutting some of the surrounding metal to fit.

OP
OP
taxx

taxx

Loc.
Indianapolis
evil69 said:
What about removing the driver's side vent and cutting some of the surrounding metal to fit.

cough cough.... after I spent so much time working in new sheet metal over there and making it pretty?:eek: lol. The thought did cross my mind but I like that vent. I just can't be pleased. Honestly I don't even have the pass side vent even hooked to the heater box so maybe I should just didtch that one??

OP
OP
taxx

taxx

Loc.
Indianapolis
SaddleUp said:
FWIW, I plan to cut off the passenger side air vent at the inner fender. I.E. It will still have the rest of it from the side up to the top but the top section over the firewall will be removed. This will give me some extra room to mount stuff. I don't want to remove it completely because some others have reported that defrosting doesn't work very well when they do.

I think I am gonna suck it up and do this today. Will give it the ability to blow the hot air out too!

I have the pass side vent in there but the boot inside has not been hooked up for over a year. Granted it was parked all winter so I am not sure about the defrost but I can cut that and leave part of it and maybe get the best of both worlds. Will just have to come up with another solution to cold air. Will let you know how this goes.