• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Front Detroit and stock Gearbox question ?

4xfloored

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Bernardino
with 33" tires and a Detroit in the front with a saginaw pump is my stock power steering gear box gonna be up to the task ? will my PS pump go out more >? should I be runnin a stronger box with a front locker ?
TIA, Milo

TJK74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newark CA
Your stock box should be fine for the task and a good sag pump should provide plenty of pressure. No matter what unless you go hydro assist or full hydro steer you are going to encounter some resistance in steering with a detroit up front when your moving and on the gas with is fully locked.

68 Broncoholic

Bronco Guru
Loc.
WA
My last run twisted the splines on the box where the pitman arm attaches.
I'll be going to hydraulic assist.

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
33's are pretty much the limit when it comes to reliability with your setup. If you go to a larger tire (35 or bigger) then you need to strongly consider not only a ram, but also a cooler and possibly a remote reservoir.

OP
OP
4xfloored

4xfloored

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Bernardino
Gummi Bear said:
33's are pretty much the limit when it comes to reliability with your setup. If you go to a larger tire (35 or bigger) then you need to strongly consider not only a ram, but also a cooler and possibly a remote reservoir.

Thanks , I think Im gonna stay with the 33's till they wear, then gonna do 35's as Im putting in sum 4.56's

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
your in good shape....my buddy has a 200 cid we just put p/s on it he has a locker up front he could barley steer it when it was manual ...after the steering was added ...a sag pump and a stock 6 turn box...it steers great when locked in now...