• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Camshaft install questions

daddyg

Bronco Parts Collector
Loc.
Toney,AL
I am helping a friend install a new cam in his 77 with a 302. At first the old cam didn't want to come out, it would move just a little then stop. After we got the front almost passed the front bearing it slid right out. But when we were trying to install the new cam we got to the point of it going in the last bearing and it stops. We cannot push it in by hand and I really don't want to force it. Any ideas?

Also if we do force it could we damage anything? I have a feeling if we can get it all the way in then it will work, but I am afraid of damaging the last bearing.

Thanks in advance
G

OP
OP
daddyg

daddyg

Bronco Parts Collector
Loc.
Toney,AL
Anyone have any ideas? We put the stock one back in and it fit just fine. It's definately the rear bearing that it won't go in. Are all the bearing the same size? Could the camshaft be bad? It looks fine, but I haven't put a mic on it.

Wes harden

Well it's kinda hard to say, the new cam has lube on bearing surfaces ?? have you tried turning the cam as you install it ?? also I have found threading a 4 or 5" bolt in the cam helps with install/remove. The old cam hard starting remove was prob a vacuum between the cam and the camplug. The new cam may have trapped air there as well, if it stopped, got hard to push in the same area. Is all I think of atm.
Good luck

ugly74

Bronco abuser
FYI, the cam bearings get smaller towards the rear. can't remember what size exactly though. does it stop all of a sudden, or does it feel squishy when it stops?

if the old one fits back in okay, you could always take measurements with a dial caliper and see how they compare.

OP
OP
daddyg

daddyg

Bronco Parts Collector
Loc.
Toney,AL
Ok real dumb question. Should I put cam lube on the bearing surfaces? The instructions don't mention it just on the lobes and bottom of the lifters. I put a little motor oil on the bearing surfaces. On mine I put the lube on the bearing surfaces, but I wasn't sure if that was the correct way or not.

It kinda come to a stop all of a sudden, basically when the last bearing surface is flush with the front of the motor.

I measured the lobes and they seem to be the same size or extremely close.

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
First you need to pull out the cam and check with a flashlight to see if all the bearings are in its place.
Second, Use a long 3/8 allthreaded rod and screw it into the cam bolt hole to use as a handle.
Load the moly lube on the whole cam and its bearing surface, it will get on there anyway....

On the last bearing try turning the cam slowly while pushing it in gently.

OP
OP
daddyg

daddyg

Bronco Parts Collector
Loc.
Toney,AL
Well we finally got it in. It wasn't pretty but it's in. Now to get the motor back together so we can fire it up.

musetech

Loc.
Alexandria
Running it at 2000 RPM is no joke to help it seat against the lifters. Rev the the engine periodically to get oil splashed to crucial areas. If it doesn't fire right up, figure out whats wrong then break it in or you'll flatten a lobe or two. Been there.

Rev it at 2000 RPM for at least 10 minutes while blipping the throttle then tune everything else.