• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What carrier bearing to use?

NeverSatisfied

Loc.
Spring, TX
I managed to grenade my second stock 9 case. But this time I really did a number. I run 31 spline Yukons with a 31 spline detroit. I plan to upgrade to a Strange Nodular Race case, but I want to run the 3.25" carrier bearing case so I can upgrade to 35 spline down the road (something I should have done from the get-go)

I have been told there is a carrier bearing that I can use to allow a 31 spline Detroit designed for a 3.06 case to work in a 3.25 case. Can anyone validate this and provide a source and part number?

I am a walking advertisement that if you plan to upgrade your 9 and you wheel in the rocks. Go 35 spline and nodular right from the get-go, it ends up being a lot less expensive.

Attachments

• 97a.jpg
    97a.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 114

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
You might want to call complete offroad or currie they should know off the top of there heads

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Just curious, did you pop the bearig cap retainers out? That seems to be the weak point in the stock case and is usually what breaks if the case comes apart.

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
I have 31 spline axles and am also going to order a nodular case. I asked Mike at Complete Offroad if I could get a 3.25 case housing just in case I ever wanted to go with 35 spline axles. He indicated that the 3.06 and 3.25 case housings are not interchangeable. i.e., if you got 31 spline axles - you can't use the 3.25 case.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
The axle size is dependant on the carrier not the case (except where the axle will not fit because of size limitations). I know they sell Detroit Lockers that use the 3.25 bearing with side gears for 31 spline axles. (I.E. 31 spline axles can and are used with 3.25 cases) This doesn't help the original post though since he wants a conversion bearing so the smaller carrier will fit with the larger case.

Last edited:
OP
OP
NeverSatisfied

NeverSatisfied

Loc.
Spring, TX
What broke first, I'm not sure, but it sure looks like the inner pinion support let go and allowed the pinion to push off the ringgear and pushed the pinion away and out sideways. portions of the case were still bolted to the pinion support on the passenger side.

I have called around and it seems like my only option is to have a bushing machined that presses on to the carrier and then I use a std. 3.25 bearing. Randy's said I was SOL, Complete said SOL, Drivetrain Direct told me about the bushing, but said they don't like it because there's not much shoulder for the bearing, Sunray said, no problem, they do it all the time.

You can't press the collar yourself because it's so thin it has to be custom machined and installed, so I'm looking at sending the carrier off for the shim install. I'm not real excited about this route and I'm thinking I need to chalk it up to experience (seems to happen alot) and drop some more coin on a a 3.25 case, 35 splines, and new Detroit.

So far this year I've got a twisted 31 spline Moser, two stock cases, 2 R&P's resultant damaged, and an D20 output shaft to boot. Hopefully someone else will learn from this.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
NeverSatisfied said:
So far this year I've got a twisted 31 spline Moser, two stock cases, 2 R&P's resultant damaged, and an D20 output shaft to boot. Hopefully someone else will learn from this.
Almost sounds like year one for mine. I have so many busted axles floating around in the garage it isn't funny. I also have a detroit locker (busted) in there along with a few drivelines and a couple of spindles, engine, etc. as well. (Had a blow tranny in there from that first year as well at one point) Almost all of this was from during the first year before I upgraded everything from the engine out to the tires. I still have the original (For me) Dana 44 housing though.

Bronchole

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chatsworth, Ca (LA)
When I had a full size Bronco I had a Tom's KA nodular housing with the 3.25" bearings and 31 spline axles. I had bought some sleeves from some shop somewhere (I don't remember) and ran it for 3-4 years. At that point one of the sleeves had worked it's way out which resulted in the detroit locker being dammaged areound where the bearing is mounted. I was expecting to spend ~$100 to have the housing piece of the Detroit fixed but ended up being billed for $300 (would have bought a new one had I known)

From this my advice is DON'T USE THE SLEEVES.

My suggestion is to either use a Strange econ-nodular case ($235 to your door from Summit or Jeggs) with the correct bearing size or go full bore with the 35 spline stuff. BTW, the econ-nodular case is avalible with both bearing sizes.

Interesting how the subject of 31 spline comes up in this thread as a possible cause of the problem that you had when it has NOTHING to do with your case failure.

Looking at your inf. the doubler and the twisted Moser axle I am thinkging it is basically a finatial decision. $350 to get an econo-nodular case and bearings to put it back together, or $1300-$1500 to go 35 spline. Of course the $$$ also depend on you doing the labor.

Dan

OP
OP
NeverSatisfied

NeverSatisfied

Loc.
Spring, TX
31 spline had nothing to do with the failure here, but having failed a 31 spline previously, now with a 2nd broken case, I definitely should have went Nodular from the get-go. If you're going to go nodular and upgrade axles at the same time, there's no reason not to go 35 -- the price is similar.

I just don't want to go Nodular 3.06 and go back to axle shafts as the weak link. My last shaft severely twisted, but I'd hate to snap one and take a detroit with it next time.

I definitely appreciate the input on the sleeve. Looks like it'll be 35 spline, nodular and an new detroit. I should have bought a boat-- It'd have been cheaper.

methcat

Loc.
long beach
must be close to a record for diggin up old threads, but i thought i'd add this info in case someone finds this thread like i did,

http://www.currieenterprises.com/cestore/productsRE.aspx?id=2781

and ask the question again. it doesn't look like currie has this the 3.062 adapter, only the 2.891 race. since it seems no different to make this one (still just a thicker than normal outer race) has anyone seen one for the 3.062 to 3.25 transition?

(these aren't press on/ addon adapters/ sleeves, they're just new outer races)

thanks

Last edited:

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
with the picture of a big rock right there, I wonder if you didn't tag the rock with the driveshaft and then it broke out the 9?

methcat

Loc.
long beach
sorry, this was me digging up a really really old thread. i was just tring to add similar info to the same thread... the OP was from '06.