• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Wiring Woes...(odd wiring combos?)

JaxLax

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Jacksonville, FL
I'm using a Ron Francis Kit and to wire the column there are 8 wires that need to be connected. I've got thier instructions and I have called them, they've given me two different colors lists, but that still doesn't solve the problem that I have NINE wires coming out ?:? :-[

Here's my attempt at a chart, don't know, but here goes:
Ford Scheme 1..........Ford Scheme 2...........Mine
white w/ blue............white w/ blue............white w/ blue.......CHECK
white w/ red.............white w/ red..............white w/ red........CHECK
light blue..................light blue...................light blue............CHECK
yellow w/ blue...........yellow w/ black..........yellow w/ black....CHECK
green w/ white..........green w/ white..........green w/ white.....CHECK
green......................green.......................green..................CHECK

so here's where it gets a little more odd:
Leftovers From Scheme 1: orange w/ blue, green w/ orange
Leftovers From Scheme 2: red w/ black, blue w/ yellow
I have: dark blue w/ green, light blue w/ red, red w/ black

I see that scheme 2 and leftovers have red/black that match, but even if it works, i still have 2 blues that could match the one blue that's in the scheme...

But even once those are all connected I am still going to have a single wire that is un-connected?

and on a side note, anybody got the diagram for the wiper switch wiring? I'm going to re-use the old switch and the RF kit has the wires already connected to a piece that matches thier swtich...

Skuzzlebutt

PhD, Dr. of Broncology
Loc.
Honeymoon Bay
If your Bronco doesn't have the Hazard switch on the column, there should be a couple extra wires in the kit.
There should be two separate connectors for the wires coming out of the column. One has only two wires connected to it. The other has all the other wires.

OP
OP
JaxLax

JaxLax

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Jacksonville, FL
Skuzzlebutt said:
If your Bronco doesn't have the Hazard switch on the column, there should be a couple extra wires in the kit.
There should be two separate connectors for the wires coming out of the column. One has only two wires connected to it. The other has all the other wires.

77 so hazard is on column
my second problem is even when i'm looking at the switches (with the wheel removed) you can see the hazard and turn switches, but the other one must be the little light for the shift indicator ?:?

brian72

Early Bronco Student
yeah - rob send him that conversion chart. Jax, you also need to know which color does what...it is on the chart rob has. If you don't get it from him...let me know I have it too.

OP
OP
JaxLax

JaxLax

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Jacksonville, FL
still have a problem with the number of wires...

I have 9 coming out of my column, yet every chart/set-up only has 8?

OP
OP
JaxLax

JaxLax

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Jacksonville, FL
ok, here we go. I got it all traced out and here's the recap:

Ford Scheme 1..........Ford Scheme 2...........Mine
white w/ blue............white w/ blue............white w/ blue.......CHECK
white w/ red.............white w/ red..............white w/ red........CHECK
light blue..................light blue...................light blue............CHECK
yellow w/ blue...........yellow w/ black..........yellow w/ black....CHECK
green w/ white..........green w/ white..........green w/ white.....CHECK
green......................green.......................green..................CHECK

new improved chart (since i traced them all %) ):

RF Color........Ford #1............Ford #2..................Should Do
Blue...........White/Blue........White/Blue...............Rt Ft Turn
White........Orange/Blue.....Green or Green/Red.....Rt Rr Turn
Yellow.......Green/Orange....Yellow/Black.............Lt Rr Turn
Green........Green/White......Green/White............Lt Ft Turn
Purple...........Green............Red/Black.............Brake Switch Input
Brown........Yellow/Blue.......Blue/Yellow.............Horn Switch
Gray............Lt Blue..............Blue..................Turn Flasher Input
Pink..........White/Red.........White/Red.............4 way flasher input

Mine Does (or so it appears) thoughts...
Yellow/Black......Rear Lights....................takes care of 2 from above...check?
Blue/Red...........Dash Indicator Lights.......not listed above
White/Red.........Rt Turn Signal................check
Green/Blue........Resistor.........................not listed above
Dk Green..........Dimmer Switch................not listed above
Lt Blue.............Lt Turn Signal.................check
White/Blue........Rt Fr Turn......................check
Green/White......Lt Fr Turn......................check
Red/Black..........Brake Switch..................check

and again, this only leads to more questions....i'm gonna call them again and see what they say....but i'm at a stand still...
guess i'll work on the stereo so i don't go insane...:p

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I see the Blue w/yellow stripe (horn) listed as in the harness, but don't see it in any of the "what yours has" listings. Is it there coming out of the column?
Just checking.

Paul

brian72

Early Bronco Student
Blue/Red...........Dash Indicator Lights.......not listed above
>>Do you mean blinkers OR dash illumination bulbs?
Green/Blue........Resistor.........................not listed above
Dk Green..........Dimmer Switch................not listed above

These are not in the column wiring.
..The dash illumination bulbs comes from the light switch
..Resistor...Don't know what or where this is
..Dimmer switch - I have more info on how to wire this.....

I can't find your email address....send it to me.

Attachments

• column wiring.jpg
    column wiring.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
OP
OP
JaxLax

JaxLax

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Jacksonville, FL
Ok, so rather than just look and attempt to follow them, I cut the harness into shambles and DID NOT EVER LET GO of them as i traced

so here's the new, improved, best i can do set-up....

A. Red w/ black stripe......brake switch on top of pedal
B. Light Green w/ white stripe.....splits-> (1) dash light (2) Drivers side Front lamp
C. Light Blue....one side of flasher-across flasher->splits-> (1) fuse panel (2) ??? cut so i can't follow {i cut it on removal} (3) wiper switch? ?:?
D. White w/ blue....splits-> (1) gauge light (2) Passenger side Front lamp
E. Dark Green.....Rear, but can't tell since they are too brittle and discolored
F. Yellow w/ black.....same as Dark Green
G. Blue w/ green.....goes to my 3 pronged resistor, other two outputs go to starter solenoid and the other goes back up into the loom and comes out on the other side to a home style twist cap that i have apparently knocked loose and can't find or identify the other wire
H. Blue w/ red....goes directly into a junction block of sorts outputs: (1) gauge light (2) gauge light (3) gauge light (4 & 5) make a loop with the fuse panel (6) H-block on the brake proportion valve
I. White w/ red...goes to a flasher, other side goes to the fuse panel

ok, so going back through:
A. check -> Purple
B. check-> Green
C. ?
D. check-> Blue
E. check-> White - will need to test -- E&F may switch
F. check-> Yellow - will need to test -- E&F may switch
G. check-> Brown {I think the Blue/green is my Horn switch and the thing i believe is a resistor is actually an older style relay?}
H. ? -> Pink -> 4-way flasher
I. ?

I&C both go to a flasher and both go to the fuse panel, the only RF wire left is the "turn flasher input"?

I'm just glad i have the day off tomorrow, so RF TECH better get some coffee, I've got 7 total questions for them to go through tomorrow morning %)

sneak preview:
1) column above
2) how would i wire my LED's to use the stock interior switch on the headlight switch (thier instructions say they need to be single pole like 1044's aka ungrounded lights)
3) how much and how long to get some new gauge light holders (you know the prongs that contain a lightbulb for the gauge)
4) there's no wiper wires in the kit? I'm guessing it's black ground, one is power, and the other two are slow/fast speed indicators....
5) back up lights are on the neutral safety switch? why not say that when I was working on the neutral safety switch earlier?
6) no connections to the H-block on the brake proportioning valve?
7) radio feed and clock memory feed...just making sure one is ign hot and the other is constant hot

after that, it's hook up the amps, dual battery set-up.
run and remove gremlins
then loom all the wires up pretty
drive....finally ;D

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Just out of curiosity, where is that resistor/relay thingy? If it's on the passenger's side fender well it's probably the horn relay. They had three wires and one went to the starter relay (Yellow) for it's main power source. It grounded through it's body and the other two wires went to the horn (Yellow w/green stripe) and the switch at the wheel (Blue w/yellow stripe). So that seems semi-consistent with what you've got.

Paul

brian72

Early Bronco Student
JaxLax said:
4) there's no wiper wires in the kit? I'm guessing it's black ground, one is power, and the other two are slow/fast speed indicators....
5) back up lights are on the neutral safety switch? why not say that when I was working on the neutral safety switch earlier?
7) radio feed and clock memory feed...just making sure one is ign hot and the other is constant hot

4 - yep no wiper wires. They are expecting you to use your orig. Mine were in good shape..so I used them
5 - you mean on the fuse block? did you do the neutral safety semi theft deterent connection....
7 - clock mem is constant hot I think...I will be using that for something else later....

OP
OP
JaxLax

JaxLax

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Jacksonville, FL
brian72 said:
4 - yep no wiper wires. They are expecting you to use your orig. Mine were in good shape..so I used them
5 - you mean on the fuse block? did you do the neutral safety semi theft deterent connection....
7 - clock mem is constant hot I think...I will be using that for something else later....

thanks for the help.
4 - my switch is in good shape but i had to cut off the connector to get the original wires out of the windshield. except now i have to figure out why my column is attached to it %)

5 - no, i mean there are 4 wires on the neutral safety switch. 2 were the same (that got the blue and purple wires) but the other two were white and black, i called them once about this and he said I was right and to just cap them off, so i did. Now i'm reading the instructions that say I need to connect them, so i have to pull it back off and un-loom them, etc...i'm just wondering why the dude couldn't just say, those two are the ones and the other two will be used later...oh well....

7 - just making sure, but the power wire for the radio seems pretty puny...but then again i've got 1100 watts total in the trunk, not getting full power from the head unit may not be the biggest of my concerns ;D

OP
OP
JaxLax

JaxLax

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Jacksonville, FL
DirtDonk said:
Just out of curiosity, where is that resistor/relay thingy? If it's on the passenger's side fender well it's probably the horn relay. They had three wires and one went to the starter relay (Yellow) for it's main power source. It grounded through it's body and the other two wires went to the horn (Yellow w/green stripe) and the switch at the wheel (Blue w/yellow stripe). So that seems semi-consistent with what you've got.

Paul

yup it was/is on the passenger side. but the more i think about it the more i think it is a horn relay (i'll post some pics tomorrow).
I went back through the pics off my red 77 and found the same thing, in the same spot on her. so i guess it can't be coincidence as I am the first to remove the stock wiring on both.

it's just frustrating to be this close and have something so wierd come up....oh well....such is life....plus it's summer and i really want to drive it

as for the semi consistant blue/yellow wire...crappy garage lights might turn the yellow to green as my eyes mix it with the blue.... yeah.... i know my primary and secondary colors. thanks 1st grade!