• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

James Duff hydroboost Mastercylinder?

Desert Thrasher

Bronco Guru
Does anyone know what mastercylinder JD uses in their hydroboost kit? It is low profile and has an almost flat cap. Which is what I need to complete my hydroboost install. Here is a pic of it.

Attachments

• hydroboost and stock bracket007.jpg
    hydroboost and stock bracket007.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 116

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Desert Thrasher said:
Does anyone know what mastercylinder JD uses in their hydroboost kit? It is low profile and has an almost flat cap. Which is what I need to complete my hydroboost install. Here is a pic of it.

77-82 Corvette.

Todd Z.

OP
OP
Desert Thrasher

Desert Thrasher

Bronco Guru
PAPITT said:
DID YOU ask enough questions ...do you have disk and disk brakes ...

I have disk brakes up front and drums in the rear. What is the vette MC for?
What size bore does it have?

I dont know what hydro unit the JD kit uses. I asked them but all they could tell me was where they bought the complete kit from. Thats why I just went here for the info on the MC.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The Corvette master cylinder from a 1977-1982 model is an AC Delco #18M91, has an 1-1/8" bore, and is designed for a disc/disc system. If you choose to use it in a disc/drum application, you'll want to add a 10# residual valve to the rear line to keep the shoes close to the drums. There are probably better MC choices for a disc/drum setup that will save you the expense of thet residual valve...however if you're going to convert the rear to discs in the future anyways, it may not be a bad choice.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
daddyg said:
So the kit James Duff sells is an Astro unit? Just curious

No, it's the internal accumulator unit used on various GM cars in the early '80s.

Todd Z.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Desert Thrasher said:
I have disk brakes up front and drums in the rear. What is the vette MC for?
What size bore does it have?

I dont know what hydro unit the JD kit uses. I asked them but all they could tell me was where they bought the complete kit from. Thats why I just went here for the info on the MC.

If you have discs/drums and will keep it that way for awhile, I'd get the 10# residual pressure valve that someone else mentioned, or use a '79 Camaro master cylinder. It's already set up for disc/drums.

Everything I've seen of Duff's units tells me they're buying them from Vanco.

Todd Z.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
I wasn't completely sure but I did think the vette was for disk and disk ...and the disk drum set up used like one said camaro or I think some of the guys use
ford tr with 1 1/8 cyl ...but if you look around like auto zone ""cheap stuff"" about 25.00 each ....how bad is 25.00 to change cyl if you go to disk on the rear ..

OP
OP
Desert Thrasher

Desert Thrasher

Bronco Guru
I already have a F250 mastercylinder, it was too tall so I milled about 1/2" off, it clears now but the cap doesnt. I plan on just making a new mounting plate that will lower the whole hydro unit down another inch or so.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
toddz69 said:
...or use a '79 Camaro master cylinder. It's already set up for disc/drums.

Just to clarify, there are two master cylinders available for the 1979-1981, one for power brakes (ACD#18M18, 1-1/8") and one for manual (ACD#18M76, 1"). Obviously, the power brake version is the one to consider for a Hydroboost setup.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Apogee said:
Just to clarify, there are two master cylinders available for the 1979-1981, one for power brakes (ACD#18M18, 1-1/8") and one for manual (ACD#18M76, 1"). Obviously, the power brake version is the one to consider for a Hydroboost setup.

Yes, I should've clarified that.

Todd Z.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
WHAT ARE THOSE NO.S are they ford parts no. I dont reconized them...
how about raybestos or wagner or cardon A1....no.s......

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
PAPITT said:
WHAT ARE THOSE NO.S are they ford parts no. I dont reconized them...
how about raybestos or wagner or cardon A1....no.s......

Sorry about that PAPITT...ACD = AC Delco. Here's the cross reference info as requested. I don't know the Wagner numbers off hand.

1-1/8", disc/drum, power brakes, GM:
ACD #18M18
Raybestos PG+ #MC36306
A1 Cardone #101521
Note: 1968-1995 midsize cars and were probably one of the single most common master cylinders GM ever used.

1" bore, disc/drum, manual, GM:
ACD #18M76
Raybestos PG+ #MC39023
A1 Cardone #101612
Note: 1975-1980 GM midsize cars

Vancopbs

If your Bronco came with 2 wheel disc then your prop valve has the residual valve built in, adding a 10 lb valve is doubling it.

You have the master correct if you went to an Auto part store. I actually use a quad port, GM/Ford Deep/Shallow piston master designed off the Corvette. All that means is I can mount the master to anything with lines going to the engine or the wheel well. It's your 2 wheel disc or 4 wheel disc proportioning valve that matters, not this master.

I switched Duff over to an Astro Van like booster. In other words, the external accumulator. The boosters are actually 2000+ 1 ton Chevy trucks.

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
Vancopbs said:
It's your 2 wheel disc or 4 wheel disc proportioning valve that matters.

Is there a difference between 2 wheel disc PVs and 4 wheel disc PVs?

I am currently using the stock ford 77 Bronco proportioning valve with a 78 Vette MC, 4 wheel discs, Front T-Bird calipers and rear Cadillac calipers.

I have recently installed an adjustable Proportioning valve in the rear lines but still cannot lock up the front discs even with the rear line pressure reduced.

What gives?