• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Carb size

trophybass

Loc.
Plant City, Florida
I picked up a holley single pumper w/vacuum secondaries carb over the weekend but i cant figure out how to tell how may cfm it is, and the #'s on it dont seem to match anything on holleys site. Its an older carb and it doesnt need rebuilt so i figure for 10 bucks what the hell. Where would the model # be so that i can try to see what i've got? Thanks

ugly74

Bronco abuser
the # should be on the front of the carb, on the choke tower.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
as the others said it may be more than 4 digits and it should be stamped numbers.

Mikey

Bronco Guru
I never throw things out! I think the catalog is 15 years old or so. Your model could be an older one. I have two 6919s, one on the 68 Cougar and one on the Bronco, that I have modified quite a bit. Holley has a pdf on their site called something like Numerical Listings you can download. If it's not on that, hopefully it will be on my old listing.
Later,
Mikey

OP
OP
trophybass

trophybass

Loc.
Plant City, Florida
Mikey said:
I never throw things out! I think the catalog is 15 years old or so. Your model could be an older one. I have two 6919s, one on the 68 Cougar and one on the Bronco, that I have modified quite a bit. Holley has a pdf on their site called something like Numerical Listings you can download. If it's not on that, hopefully it will be on my old listing.
Later,
Mikey

I'll check that pdf right now. Thanks

Broncobowsher

Total hack
From the Holley catalog I picked up at SEMA last year...
8934 is a 4160 series carb
600 CFM
Renew kit 37-720
trick kit 37-933
Needle and seat 6-506
Primary main jet 122-68
Secondary main jet or plate 134-39
Primary metering block-not serviced
Seconday metering block 134-39
Power valve 125-65
Pump nozzle size primary .031
Secondary spring color black
Primary venturi 1-1/4"
Seconday venturi 1-5/16"
Throttle bores (4) 1-9/16"

OP
OP
trophybass

trophybass

Loc.
Plant City, Florida
Broncobowsher said:
From the Holley catalog I picked up at SEMA last year...
8934 is a 4160 series carb
600 CFM
Renew kit 37-720
trick kit 37-933
Needle and seat 6-506
Primary main jet 122-68
Secondary main jet or plate 134-39
Primary metering block-not serviced
Seconday metering block 134-39
Power valve 125-65
Pump nozzle size primary .031
Secondary spring color black
Primary venturi 1-1/4"
Seconday venturi 1-5/16"
Throttle bores (4) 1-9/16"

Whoa! Thanks

Mikey

Bronco Guru
For a stock 302, that will be a bit rich on the main jets unless you've over-bored, good cam, put in dual exhaust and long-tube headers, and a great ignition, advance curve in distro. Also depends on altitude. For stock try .64s maybe. At nearly sea level, I ran .68s just fine on my 68 Cougar and it's built up for low and mid range per my list in the first sentence. Now I live at 4500ft and it might be a tiny bit rich but not bad enough to bother..for performance, you want it a hair rich....my hot ignition will fire through it just fine (capacitive discharge). Your pump nozzle is also rich....it will fire rich early and huff out mid way through....might feel like a bog on acceleration. I think I tried .25 or .28 and worked better....but I'm over 40 and can't remember exactly. Vacuum spring might be a bit heavy, try a brown or steel (clear). On my Bronco, it has Duraspark ignition, Blaster coil, duals with stock manifolds, Mustang GT aluminum intake and who knows for cam...probably stock....C4, 3.50 gears; I'm running .64s with a steel (clear) spring. Can't remember the pump size. So far it's running good. I've kicked around trying the brown spring but that really shuts the carb down, and trying .66s. The black spring shuts the carb way down to like a 2 barrel with an occasional partial opening at WOT. Some guys are saying that it works for them, though.

OK, I'm rambling aimlessly now!
Cheers,
Mikey

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
You may need to jet the primary side down 68's are usually to much for a 302 #62 jets usually work good.
Mikey beat me to the punch but he's dead on thats pretty much what I run on my 302 I set my carb up to 6919 specs and tuned it from there

Mikey

Bronco Guru
Sooo..bronconaz, you are about sea level, right? You run .62s so my .64s are probably fine at 4500 ft. The 6919s come with the .62s...'course you knew that, huh? Your 302 is stock? Is it your 73 or 71?

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Actually I'm running 64's right now and I think I'm a little rich I couldnt find my 62 jets I think I put them in my buddies bronco his ran great and passed emissons in PHX. I'm at about 2400 ft this is on my 73 its not stock I have TFS heads crane cam hooker headers and a single plane manifold not what you would call a good 4x4 combo but it runs very strong. I'm looking for a cheap dual plane manifold to see what differance it makes. Not sure about your jetting as every engine is a little different usually when you go up in elevation smaller jets should be installed. I need to pull my plugs again and check them but I know I real close as last time I looked they were brown but I think it could stand going a little leaner.
My 71 is bone stock still has the orginal 2 barrel on it.

Mikey

Bronco Guru
Man, broncnaz, ever make it to Tehachapi? We could party, dude! I grew up in Phoenix!

I would be surprised if you were rich with that set up....but we are arguing .02 or so. I have an extra set of .62s, I think. The single plane is probably your problem. Single plane RPM is too high for my 68 Cougar, for me, and really not the best for a Bronc. Try a dual plane then try the jets.

Try eBay for the 85 Mustang GT intake....be sure to get the adapter plate then make an EGR block off plate. Very similar specs to the Performer....plus it's got a factory clear coat, a heat baffle like the stock cast iron and the cool Ford oval under the nose of the carb. Not too much money, either...if you wait and find a good deal.
Cheers,
Mikey

You are correct on leaning out a high altitude carb....learned that in flight lessons! It would be cool to just pull a cable to lean out the carb, huh?

I'm getting to the point where I want to get one of those O2 sensor modules. I even read an article on how to make your own. That way, no guessing!

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Not sure where Telachapi is. Let me know and maybe we can party. I've ran this single plane(Edelbrock Trantula) for over 25 years and its been pretty good although I agree a dual plane would be better. I had a guy that lived down the street some where walk by and offer to sell me a performer manifold for $40 but he never came over with it so I'm still looking I'd rather have a RPM manifold more for looks but considering how the single plane runs and my brothers 70 mustang I think the RPM manifold will be fine I may go with the power plus manifold its a copy of the RPM and has the rear water crossover like the first ones that came out and is about $30 cheaper than the Edelbrock I guess the name drives the price up.
You also right about my jetting I think its rich due to the single plain manifold probably not as good of a vaccum signal once the throttle is cracked.
I'm also considering putting a O2 sensor on to see how its running I already got a kit from summit racing it was the cheaper kit I think like $60 but thats another one of these days projects.