• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

power steering pump purge

RFR2212

Loc.
Chicago Burbs
How do I do it so i dont burn it up, and so it doesn't whine? I'm going to pickup my saginaw parts tomorrow for some more turning power.
Thanks

jmaples

Loc.
SEATTLE,
I turn my truck off and on a handful of times, than jack the front end up and cycle the steering back and forth

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
I was told as a kid growing up to jack the front end off the ground and turn back and forth in order to get the air out of the system ....but I just dont know if this is really needed ...I did mine not long back and filled it and started it and after i killed it a couple of times and the fluid was almost correct ..then I turned it and all was well...

musetech

Loc.
Alexandria
Crank engine over with coil disconected, turn lock to lock with front end off the ground, and return hose to pump in a bucket.

A two man job as one is needed to keep filling the reservoir until fluid from the return hose comes out clear and free of bubbles.