• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

More C4 questions

Jerrod4567

Loc.
Bakersfield CA
So I was at my local junkyard today and found a couple of canidates for my C4 swap I'm doing. I found a 78 and a 79 C4, both had pan fill oiling. One of them was connected to a 351M while the other a standard 302.

Here are my questions.

1. is the 351M bellhousing the same as a Windsor?
2. Any benefeits/losses between a case and pan fill tranny?
3. How can you tell if the tranny is a C5 and if it is will it still work with the
C4 adapter? I was thinking with the lockup converter it might be interesting to use a C5 and set up a switch to lock the converter up for compression braking.

Feedback please. Thank you.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
The 351M has a big block bolt pattern and that wasnt a C-4.
I believe the pan fill trannys are said to have slightly stronger cases but otherwise no real benifit the cases usually hold up fine its bellhousings that usually go first on c-4's
I'm not real up on how to tell if its a c-5 but I believe it has a hump in the pan similar to the bronco c-4 also I beleive the c-5's are very light duty and the lock up feature is what makes them junk. I'm not sure they put any behind V-8's I think they only put them behind 4 and 6 cyl engines but I'm not positive and I'm no expert on them by any means.

OP
OP
Jerrod4567

Jerrod4567

Loc.
Bakersfield CA
broncnaz said:
The 351M has a big block bolt pattern and that wasnt a C-4.
I believe the pan fill trannys are said to have slightly stronger cases but otherwise no real benifit the cases usually hold up fine its bellhousings that usually go first on c-4's
I'm not real up on how to tell if its a c-5 but I believe it has a hump in the pan similar to the bronco c-4 also I beleive the c-5's are very light duty and the lock up feature is what makes them junk. I'm not sure they put any behind V-8's I think they only put them behind 4 and 6 cyl engines but I'm not positive and I'm no expert on them by any means.

Thanks for the info. For the record though that trans bolted to the 351M is a C4, I know the tranny well. I've built several. I'm wondering if I can just change the Bellhousing on it?

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
If its a C-4 than you know the bellhousing will come off. But I'm pretty sure there were no big block patterned C-4 bellhousings ever. Are you sure its a 351M could be a 351C they have a small block bolt pattern but I dont think they bolted C-4's to them from the factory. Might want to check it closer 351C's are worht some $$
the c-5 requires a computer to use the lockup feature.

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
Jerrod4567 said:
Thanks for the info. For the record though that trans bolted to the 351M is a C4, I know the tranny well. I've built several. I'm wondering if I can just change the Bellhousing on it?
Yes you can change out the 351/400M bell housing for the 302/351W/300-six bell housing.

The C-4 was factory equipment behind many 351M in cars like the 78-79 T-bird, Cougar, LTD Elite. The same cars also had the option of C-6 and FMX.

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
Jerrod4567 said:
So I was at my local junkyard today and found a couple of canidates for my C4 swap I'm doing. I found a 78 and a 79 C4, both had pan fill oiling. One of them was connected to a 351M while the other a standard 302.

Here are my questions.

1. is the 351M bellhousing the same as a Windsor?
2. Any benefeits/losses between a case and pan fill tranny?
3. How can you tell if the tranny is a C5 and if it is will it still work with the
C4 adapter? I was thinking with the lockup converter it might be interesting to use a C5 and set up a switch to lock the converter up for compression braking.

Feedback please. Thank you.
1. NO
2. Yes, the pan fill is a stronger case that will be better for supporting the extra weight of the transfer case.
3. They never made pan fill C-5. Also it is easiest to tell a C-5 with the untrained eye by the filter. It is part plastic and part sheet metal with a nylon screen integrated into it. The C-4 adapter and or extension housing will bolt to the C-5
4. C-5s use centrifugal lock-up, it was purely mechanical, therefore it can't be controlled with a switch.