• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Gas smell around my bronco

74BroncoCO

Bronco Guru
I have what I think is the 23 gal BC's tank from a ways back. I think my problem is in the vent. I am pretty sure it vents into open air. Do I want to put that vent thru a charcoal canister? If so, anyone know where I can find a small one?? If I get this fixed, my bronco may get a spot in the garage!Thanks!

J.D.

68 Broncoholic

Bronco Guru
Loc.
WA
You can add one but most of the new tanks are all vented so either you will need it or get used to the smell. So why isn't the Bronco in the garage anyway? Gas fumes can help put the rig together in a heart beat! :-X

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Might just be the gas cap some are vented to let air in and out if you get one that only lets air in then the smell should go away. Also check and make sure the gasket on the cap is in good condition it can cause leaks also.

crawln68

Bronco Guru
I got my small charcoal canister from a F150 truck in the you-pull-yard. I mounted it on top of the frame rail in the engine compartment. My garage has NO gas smell at all. ;D

H

Heinz_67

HEY JD!!!

How is it going down their in the Big T?

Are you throwing any codes? You might have the purge valve already hooked up to your EFI system. If so, install a charcoal canister and run it to the purge valve. Stinky Bronco problem solved. Or, you could just throw a diesel in it. Sorry, couldn't help it.

Jim

OP
OP

74BroncoCO

Bronco Guru
I guess it's time to head to the pull-n-save yard soon. The bronco isn't in the garage because the garage is a mess...just moved in. If some shelving brackets come in, we'll get it cleaned up this weekend!

My gas cap is fairly new, so the gasket should be fine. I will check the seal on it and see if I can find out if it's vented or not.

Jim - it's going well besides the heat!! We're already looking at watering restrictions, but we'll just roll with the punches. No codes to speak of, it's always done this, I have just decided that since my truck won't fit in the garage, that something might as well. Yeah, I'd love to do a diesel...someday. I just hope that I can get the garage cleared out and then maybe drop the top off and take her for a spin.

Already had an offer to buy it down here tho. Of course, it's not for sale. Anyway thanks for the help guys. I will look into where the pick-n-save yards are and if a cool day comes around...

J.D.