• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

engine stalls when c-4 engaged

sjpiro

Loc.
Wenatchee
My engine was running fine when I stopped at a friends house earlier tonight. When I went to head home, the engine started and idled fine, but would quit as soon as I put her into gear.(both in forward and reverse). I also noticed the exhaust sounded a little different. I adjusted the idle up so that I could get home, the tranny banged in and she limped back to the house.

At any rate, I have been reading the threads to see if I could figure out what happened. Is is a vacum leak; a torque converter problem; a pertronix problem; a timing problem, or something else? I read where it could be any of these, but I don't know where to start.

Have any of you experienced this problem, and, if so, could you point me in the right direction.

Thanks

ken75ranger

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Troy, NY
I'd start by looking for a vacuum leak. The banging kind of scares me though. Hopefully it's because you turned the idle up and it's shifting hard.

taxx

Loc.
Indianapolis
ken75ranger said:
The banging kind of scares me though. Hopefully it's because you turned the idle up and it's shifting hard.

I would guess thats the case. I run a high idle and mine clunks into gear.

Have you changed or adjusted anything that would affect your timing? How long since your carb was rebuilt?

TJK74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newark CA
Yep most likely a vacuum leak. Mine did the same thing a while back. Check all vacuum hoses for splits of cracks first. if nothing comes up then spray around the carb base and intake with carb cleaner and listen for Idle fluctuation.

OP
OP
S

sjpiro

Loc.
Wenatchee
Good Morning,

Thanks for the feedback gentlemen. The carb is new, and the I am sure the
bang is just do to the high idle. I am leaning towards the vacuum leak which I will check out today. Would a vacuum leak change the exhaust sound as well.

I found the change in the tone curious.

Skuzzlebutt

PhD, Dr. of Broncology
Loc.
Honeymoon Bay
The vacuum modulator is the usuall culprit when this problem comes up. I think if it were just a bad hose you would be having idling problems while in park or neutral, not just when in gear.

OP
OP
S

sjpiro

Loc.
Wenatchee
Thanks Chris. For my own education, would a vacuum leak or a modulator problem also change the tone of the exhaust?

TJK74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newark CA
sjpiro said:
Good Morning,

Thanks for the feedback gentlemen. The carb is new, and the I am sure the
bang is just do to the high idle. I am leaning towards the vacuum leak which I will check out today. Would a vacuum leak change the exhaust sound as well.

I found the change in the tone curious.

Yes a vacuum leak can have an effect on exhaust tone

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
My green77 had the same symtoms, Found alot of blowby on the passenger side bank. I pulling the motor this weekend, it has over 200k+ miles on it.
Another stock 302 will go in its place with a new timing gear drive so I could use it for this summer fishing trips.

I checked everything for the culprit and it came down to the age and mileage of the motor.

rednck21

Skuzzlebutt said:
The vacuum modulator is the usuall culprit when this problem comes up. I think if it were just a bad hose you would be having idling problems while in park or neutral, not just when in gear.

vacuum modulator....where is it located and what does it do?

TJK74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newark CA
rednck21 said:
vacuum modulator....where is it located and what does it do?

Its located on the transmission and controls the shift timing under accelleration