• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

NP435 Swap-Couple of questions

XT700

Loc.
Brownsville
Pulled the old three speed and transfer case out tonight, seperated them and all the roller bearing fell out, how many bearings are there? I'm sure it will be evident but it would be nice to know how many I will need to find.

The more important question is how to remove the intermediate gears from the old adapter to install on the new adapter. There is a snap ring at the rear of the gears but is there anything else to remove the gears? Thanks

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
These are the answers for my 69 with a T-style transfer case. I am not sure if a J-style is different.

I believe that there are 13 of those roller bearings.

As for the gear on the adapter - all you need to do is pull that snap ring off and it should slide off. Then the spud shaft can be driven out as well as the bearing (the bearing has another snap ring, if I remember correctly). I didn't have to do this with my NP435 swap as my adapter came with a new spud shaft, bearing, and gear. Which adapter are you using?

OP
OP
XT700

XT700

Loc.
Brownsville
Not sure who made the adapter but it is the style that uses the 6 cylinder adapter cut and welded to a plate. Thansk for the info.

Walt

kyle

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The above answer is correct. You remove the snap ring and the gear should slide off the spud shaft. There is another snap ring that holds the bearing in the intermediate housing. Once this is removed you should be able to tap on the spud shaft from the transmission side of the intermediate housing and the spud shaft and bearing should come out together.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
I vote for 13 also .....and one tip also put your clutch disk on the main shaft on the front of the trans ...several times
so you'll know it will slide together when you stab the trans ....I think my was rusty and gave me trouble stabbing the trans