• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

CHEAP p/s cooler options

griff

Loc.
solvang, ca
I could just go buy the $40 one the bronco parts companies sell, but they already tapped me out. Anybody know some cheaper options, or good junkyard optons?

ken75ranger

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Troy, NY
I know 4.0 rangers have a decent one. It's down on the frontunder the bumper. Easy access for removal. I think the super duty has one there too. You could use an aftermarket tranny cooler too.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Several Fords have a remote cooler mounted in the grill area. When I was out at U-Pull-It on one trip I picked up 3 of them in about 15 minutes. I think they all came off cars but I'm not certain. (It's been a couple years)

JKrieg70

Loc.
Columbus, GA
Econoline Vans have coolers as well. The are a little bigger than the stock Bronco ps cooler. It is a easy fit on the front of the radiator. Less than $10 at the junk yard.

Hogback

ken75ranger said:
You could use an aftermarket tranny cooler too.

I was wondering about this. I didn't know if the pressures were about the same. I may use my old tranny cooler for my PS pump.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hogback said:
I was wondering about this. I didn't know if the pressures were about the same. I may use my old tranny cooler for my PS pump.

Run the cooler on the low pressure return side...then no worries.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
griff said:
I could just go buy the $40 one the bronco parts companies sell, but they already tapped me out. Anybody know some cheaper options, or good junkyard optons?

A plentiful, and cheap option is one out of a Ford pickup, Bronco, or van from the mid-'80s through the mid '90s.

Todd Z.

72Sport

Bronco Guru
I think Todd is referring to the one pictured. I mounted mine in front of the radiator on the bottom of the radiator support. Try to take the 15/16" ? nuts off of the bottom before you leave the yard. Sometimes they are rusted/corroded enough that you destroy the cooler trying to get them off.

Attachments

• small100_0099.jpg
    small100_0099.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 68

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
72Sport said:
I think Todd is referring to the one pictured. I mounted mine in front of the radiator on the bottom of the radiator support. Try to take the 15/16" ? nuts off of the bottom before you leave the yard. Sometimes they are rusted/corroded enough that you destroy the cooler trying to get them off.

Yep - that's the one!

Todd Z.

ponch0v

Got my first trany cooler of a 80s E150. (3"x11") Came across a late Bronco that had a heavy duty one (6"x11"). Put that one on the trany and moved the 3x11 to the ps. Both work great cost was right...$5 each

76 bronco J

Bronco Guru
-----those stack plate coolers are good however using the ones at junkyards is very risky regardless of the good deal- the problem is all those multiple passage ways compared to the tube style is very hard to absolutely for sure clean every bid of contaminents out of them-- I threw one out before and replace with a new one on my old van when the C6 went out because I didn't want to risk it--- the other day Nick Trix mentioned running them through an ultrasonic cleaner which may allow for complete cleaning because simply pumping fluid through at home does not guarantee you have really cleaned it

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
72Sport said:
This is the same one I mentioned above found in several Ford vehicles. They are quite plentiful in the u-pull-it yards.

As far as cleanliness I've never run across one that had been stuck into the dirt. Just look for one that is still connected and make sure the fluid doesn't look black and it should be fine.

72Sport

Bronco Guru
Napa sells a filter for about $2.50 that will fit inside the 3/8" return line at the pump. I put them in my stuff no matter where it comes from. It will take out the lumps you may be storing in your ps box etc. The magnet inside the ps pump will grab the little stuff.

76 bronco J

Bronco Guru
72Sport said:
Napa sells a filter for about $2.50 that will fit inside the 3/8" return line at the pump. I put them in my stuff no matter where it comes from. It will take out the lumps you may be storing in your ps box etc. The magnet inside the ps pump will grab the little stuff.
---I didn't think about that earlier ,but I use this filter I found at the auto parts here in town which has some kind of magnet similar to the magnafine filter-- this one says filtran made by SPX corporation--this would probably be good insurance with the used coolers-- also I think these are on some cars straight from the factory

Attachments

• P5151453.JPG
    P5151453.JPG
    121.8 KB · Views: 47

blazinchuck

Bronco Guru
I happened to be around some guys when they were removing a J**P cherokee engine...I knabbed the tranny cooler, nice size-works great,Chuck

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Any transmission cooler will work fine. The pressure in the low side should be in the order of 1~3 PSI. That is. It is an open line to the resivor.
I doubled my capacity and added cooling by putting a spare remote engine oil filter in the return line. Cleans the oil, double capicity to 2 quarts, lots of surface area to radiate heat. All I had to do was scrounge a few fitting (alread had) pick up a new filter and some more fluid. Fluid also stays cleaner, longer for some reason as well. Could never figure that out...