• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Stub Shaft

Jerrod4567

Loc.
Bakersfield CA
What is the diffrerennce in the stock 3 speed stub shafts From a V8 vs an Inline 6? I'm doing the c4 swap into my bronco and I read where the stock stub shaft has to be shorteded 3/8" for proper clearance with the new setup. I also have a stock stub shaft from both a v8 with a 3 speed and also a I6 with a 3 speed. Whats the difference?

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
The V8 stub shaft is almost 3in shorter than the 6 cyl stub shaft. The V8 manual adapter housing is like 9 3/8" long where the automatic adapter housing is about 7 3/8" long The 6 cyl housing is about 6 1/2" long
You'll see the differance when they are side by side.

OP
OP
Jerrod4567

Jerrod4567

Loc.
Bakersfield CA
broncnaz said:
The V8 stub shaft is almost 3in shorter than the 6 cyl stub shaft. The V8 manual adapter housing is like 9 3/8" long where the automatic adapter housing is about 7 3/8" long The 6 cyl housing is about 6 1/2" long
You'll see the differance when they are side by side.

So can the I6 Stub shaft be used at all in the V8 C4 swap? or no?

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
You might be able to use it but I would try to use the V8 shaft as the more spline you have engauged the stronger it will be