• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

C4 Torque Converter

Jerrod4567

Loc.
Bakersfield CA
Doing the C4 swap in my Bronco and looking for a good aftermarket Torque converter. Any ideas? What do you guys run? How do you like it etc???

Im using the 164 tooth Flexplate 26 spline input shaft btw.

ken75ranger

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Troy, NY
I used these guys. http://www.edgeracingconverters.com/ They will make a converter for off road, I tried emailing and calling some of the other places but if it wasn't for street-strip use they didn't have a clue. Andre is a good guy. He'll talk to you about your setup then he goes and makes it.
Customer service is very good. One guy bought one liked it so much he bought another at a swap meet that needed work. They fixed the swap meet one for free just for being a past customer!:eek:

76 bronco J

Bronco Guru
I had to switch convertors when going to the the new motor because I had the odd ball 10 1/2" pattern with the welded on snout convertor--any way I purchased a rebuilt DACCO 11 1/2" pattern convertor(part #F48) for $35 & $20 for the core charge since they would not take the other convertor because of no demand these days-- in town here the place Texas
Transmission Parts usually sells to shops so it may be a little more expensive elsewhere ,but I just walked off the street & they sold to me -- this convertor has lasted behind a few hundred horses for almost 6 thousand miles with no problem so far-- the stock convertors are alot more efficent than those stall convertors which are bad choices for a bronco -- I have a pretty big cam & it's borderline with the tight stock convertor-- I feel if you need a higher stall convertor in your bronco the cam is too big in the motor or the gearing is not good enough

OP
OP
Jerrod4567

Jerrod4567

Loc.
Bakersfield CA
76 bronco J said:
I had to switch convertors when going to the the new motor because I had the odd ball 10 1/2" pattern with the welded on snout convertor--any way I purchased a rebuilt DACCO 11 1/2" pattern convertor(part #F48) for $35 & $20 for the core charge since they would not take the other convertor because of no demand these days-- in town here the place Texas
Transmission Parts usually sells to shops so it may be a little more expensive elsewhere ,but I just walked off the street & they sold to me -- this convertor has lasted behind a few hundred horses for almost 6 thousand miles with no problem so far-- the stock convertors are alot more efficent than those stall convertors which are bad choices for a bronco -- I have a pretty big cam & it's borderline with the tight stock convertor-- I feel if you need a higher stall convertor in your bronco the cam is too big in the motor or the gearing is not good enough

Which cam are you using? I am running a comp cams xtreme 4x4 cam in a 393W

specs- lift .477 intake .493 exhaust and something like 218 220 duration @ .050

I'm sure a stock TC would work fine, I was just looking for a few hundred more RPM on the stall for Trailing.

76 bronco J

Bronco Guru
Jerrod4567 said:
Which cam are you using? I am running a comp cams xtreme 4x4 cam in a 393W

specs- lift .477 intake .493 exhaust and something like 218 220 duration @ .050

I'm sure a stock TC would work fine, I was just looking for a few hundred more RPM on the stall for Trailing.
-----I'm running the E303 ,it's close to your .498 int/.498 ext & 220 duration each ,but I only have 302 CIs & 30x9.50 tires-- mine does get real rumbly in gear but I've advance the timing all it can handle & you can lug it severly without dying & does have excellent responce & lowend for being so lumpy in gear--- its been talked about before but cams in this range are not exactly perfect for 302 equiped rock crawling big tire trucks--with 393 CIs that cam range maybe alright but if I was building a serious trail crawler with mine I would probably remove the Ecam from the 302 and put something slightly smaller instead of a higher stall convertor