• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Trying to decide on a tranny need some input...

BigFord74

Loc.
Nixa,Mo
Wife has an all stock '77 bronco. Has a 302/3spd still on the column. Last time we drove it, it was doing the typical links locking up syndrome. Soo once we get it to where we live now i'd like to change the tranny set up. So plz help me decide. Our plans are for mainly cruising around and once in a blue moon do some mild trails.

Easiest and cheapest 3sp to the floor conversion, but i know the 3sp isn't much on the off road dept....

C-4 would be nice since the wife would be the main driver of the vehicle, and if we do hit some trails be easier on her to drive,but she can handle a standard ok.....

Changing out to some sort of 4spd/5spd.....if so what is the better/easiest types.

I believe a ZF atm would be a bit outta budget so i was thinking either a NV3550 or an NP435.

Any other info would be greatly appreciated.

XT700

Loc.
Brownsville
Just went through the same process with my Bronco and decided on the NP435 for a couple of reasons. The first being I had one with the adapter that I had picked up a couple of years ago and for my intended use the 435 should work fine. That being said, if I did not already have the 435 I would have gone with the 3550. After researching here and talking with some owners at the Roundup, the 3550 sounds like a great setup, easier shifting a slightly better first gear and overdrive make it a good choicce for a rig that will be wheeled occasionally. Some say the 3550 is weak, that may be an issue with a modified motor or a 351 but for a stock motor it should be fine. If you are happy with the current gearing of your three speed you might consider going to a floor shift, supposedly the Duff setup works well although I have not driven one personally. My rig had a rigged up Hurst Indy shifter that worked poorly. Good luck

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Most likely the old np 435 is the best because once it in there it'll never give a problem ...I've done 2 of these swaps so after the adaptor set up not much else to buy ..I swaped my yokes on the drive shafts and the shafts fit ...I'd like a 5 speed also but I picked up the 435 for 75.00 each but not the 3550 ...
the old 435 I can put it in 1st gear in the pasture and idle along and spray weeds with the door open nice and slow ....or get out and walk beside the truck as it moves along then step back in the truck with it moving ...
''It's A farm THANG''...

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
It sounds to me like you really need to sit down and have a talk with the Mrs, and let her decide.;D

I have a C4 in mine, and I love it. My wife's rig has a 3 speed, and she's not sure whether she likes it or not. I'm guessing that I'll be putting a C4 in hers sooner or later too.

76 bronco J

Bronco Guru
do your wife & yourself a favor and go automatic-- I like manuals in sports cars but those truck transmissions are not fun at all-- V8s & automatics in trucks are perfect matches -- C4 equiped broncos are so much nicer to drive than the three speed manuals & because of the mustangs can be built very stout if needed these days-- if you want to shift get a rachet shifter & shift away--4R70W wide gear ratio overdrive would make an awesome all around driver ,but that route isn't cheap-- lots of people brag about having manuals for strength but if you look at the tow ratings of trucks today automatics are rated to tow heavier loads than the manuals so durabilty probably wouldn't be an issue even with the new overdrive ---there is no way your wife would pick one of those truck manuals after driving an auto equiped bronco ---it's impossible

Dachy

Loc.
San Diego, CA.
i've had a nv4500 in mine (swapping to a c4) and after riding in a couple of broncos with c4's in em, i definately prefer an automatic. going down an even slightly rough fireroad at a decent speed can be a pain in the ass as you try to keep from kicking the throttle when you hit a bump in a manual. My personal opinion, save your money, get a c4, and go buy an atlas if you need a low crawl ratio.

dbridgs

I did a nv3550 swap a year ago and love it, it shifts so smooth and fast and is really a pleasure to drive. However if you think the zf is outta your price range the nv3550 will be even more so, i paid like 2400 for my swap and that was a year ago, you might find a nice one in a salvage yard, they couldn't be in to bad of shape because i believe they began to be widely used in 2001 jeep models. A zf will shift like a truck tranny but has deeper first and higher 5th gear and has a higher torque capacity.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Ditto The ZF and NV3550 are both pricey The cheapest swap is the NP435 and its one of the best choices for offroad with the granny gear otherwise its basically geared just like the stock 3 speed. Dont know what type of offroading your doing but if its just normal trail riding I'd just move the 3 speed to the floor. I wont go into the auto vs manual debate but autos do require much less driver input. I think most people like them because they dont have to put there phone down to shift.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
First you need to decide whether you want to put an automatic or a manual in. That discussion has been beat to death on several occasions. Based on your stated usage I don't really think it will make much difference. That is as long as your only running mild trails. If you decide later that you want to step up to some of the more difficult trails then I would suggest an automatic. I've run both on the trails and I'll take an automatic any day for the extreme stuff. (And it doesn't have anything to do with the phone or shifting which I probably do just as much of with an auto on the trails as I did with a manual) At any rate start off by deciding which way your going to go. Then you can decide on a specific tranny to run. For an auto the obvious choice on a budget is the C4 and it gives you a lot better effective gearing than the stock 3 speed does. (Don't let the gearing charts fool you since they don't take into account the torque convertors) I assume since you think the ZF is beyond your budget that you probably don't want to go with the overdrive automatics since they will cost at least as much to do. The same is true of most of the manual swaps. (Almost all of them are going to cost as much or more than the ZF) The NP435 might not but keep in mind with it that your gaining a granny gear that is good for crawling off road but that isn't worth much pulling away from stop signs. I.E. For the street you basically have the same thing you have now.

OP
OP
B

BigFord74

Loc.
Nixa,Mo
I figured the ZF is just more expensive do to where i'm reading you have to do mod's to the driveshafts. And since my budget don't allow me to do both a tranny swap and lift at the sametime i'd hate to resize my shafts more then once.

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Tranny swap

If you are thinking of keeping it more or less stock, I would vote for the C-4. Its and easy swap has with a lot of info and people to help if you get stuck while installing. Keep in mind for some that have the C-4 and want the overdrive, Stak is supposed to have out a T-case with low gears and an overdrive gear that bolts right up to the C-4, it's $$$$ but so is doing an OD tranny.

Ben

OP
OP
B

BigFord74

Loc.
Nixa,Mo
Well chatting with the wife a lot and trying to do some research i believe we have decided it best to go with an auto. So i have some decisions altho i'm sure we'll end up with a C4 i do have some more ?'s.

If i go with a C4, i'm guessing it should be out of a 66-77bronco? and if i do find one will it be a direct bolt up to our Xcase or what do i need to make sure it is a direct bolt in.

C6 doubt i'd end up with one but i guess if i happen to stumble across one. how hard is it to fit. I know mounted to the D20 it ends up being longer.

AoD have been seeing a lot of these at about the same price as a C4. Pretty much the same ? Are there any that are a direct fit, if not what would i need.

Basically all in all i'd like to see a parts list and how you like the auto of choice. Now the wife also reminded me i have an '84 Ford F-150 sitting in the field back home. Not sure of motor as it's not orig./transmission is Auto but not sure of what type. Ran when we parked it, had the flywheel i believe go out and my dad was to cheap to have it replaced. Thanks a ton for all the answers, being fairly new to bronco's i appreciate all the answers i've gotten and i'm sure i'll have a ton more in the future. As this site has sparked a serious interest in playing with the wifes and possibly buying my own.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
The C-4 out of another bronco will be a direct swap no other modifications needed except maybe a hole in the floor for a floor shifter.
AOD requires a adapter so the price will go up
C-6 like you said longer may require driveshaft mods. and requires a adapter
More than likely the tranny in the 84 F150 is a C-6 if its a 4x4 anyways tcase may not fit in a bronco and the flywheel will be a different balance unless the F150 has a 351W then it will be the same as the pre 1981 302.

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
:p :p :p I use a top loader 4 speed its a lot of fun but when I get older I will go with the C4 auto. Its what do you want if it is just a shifting problem go floor for now and then later do what you need at the time good luck and have fun.:p :p :p Bill %) :cool: ;D

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
As mentioned above C4 from an Early Bronco is a direct swap. The 4WD C6 and AOD trannies both either require an adapter to the Dana 20 or require changing the transfer case as well. The only direct bolt up transfer case that fits in the frame rails on them is the NP205. It's not real expensive and is perhaps the strongest one you will find but there are other costs involved as well (cross member, shifter, drivelines) and by itself (Without a doubler setup) the gearing in it isn't that great. I would say go with the C4. In the end it will cost less and be a lot easier to swap in.