• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Replacing Axle seal

Davesbronco

Loc.
Adairsville, GA
I have a leaking axle seal on my ford 9" rearend. How do I find the right size seal and bearing for it? Does the GAWR have anything to do with it? I thought I heard that on here once before. If so it is 2360 on the rear. Thanks

BlackHorse

Just knowing if it's large or small bearing should be all the info you need. Large=higher weight rating. Also you could pull the seal first, most of the time you can read the numbers right off the seal itself.

OP
OP
Davesbronco

Davesbronco

Loc.
Adairsville, GA
I am completely new to this where is the seal and bearing located? I mean is it near the third member or out near the brake drums. Sorry for being so ignorant but I honestly have never touched a rearend except for ujoints and brakes.

OP
OP
Davesbronco

Davesbronco

Loc.
Adairsville, GA
So I will have to pull the axle to get the seal and bearing out? When putting the axle back are there any special considerations? I mean is it ver hard to do?

bronco-uno

Loc.
wisconsin
It is usually not that hard to put the shaft back in the housing. On the other hand it can be a challange to remove the shaft from the housing. and yes you pull the axle out of the housing and the bearing is pressed on to the shaft. you will find that the bearing is sealed meaning that the axle seal is behind the bearing....basicaly the axle seal is intended to keep gear oil in the rear end not lube the wheel bearing

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
If it is a big bearing rearend pull the axle first to make sure it doesn't have tapered bearings. If it does then it takes a different seal and bearing that is sealed outside the bearing (The bearing bathes in the rearend gear oil instead of being sealed with grease). You can always change it but keep in mind with a sealed bearing the seal is in the housing itself, with tapered it goes on the axle before the bearing. It is important when changing types to either add or remove the seal in the housing depending upon the type used.