• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Tilt column

Doyle

Bronco Guru
From BC Broncos website

TILT STEERING COLUMN
If you would like to have a tilt wheel in your early Bronco, here is a clean and easy way to get it.

Get the complete column (auto or stick) with wheel from a pre 1980 F-150. I like to use the 1978 or 1979. Remove the tubes that have the column support brackets spot welded to them. Drill out the spot welds and remove the support brackets from the F-150 and Bronco tubes. Place the F-150 tube in your Bronco.

For column shift automatics move the column up as far as possible without the shift linkage hitting the firewall bracket. You will loose about 1" of steering wheel height. With the stick column you can move it up to the stock Bronco height, if you would like.

Put the Bronco bracket removed earlier, in place on the F-150 column and bolt it down. Make sure that the column is not rotated and adjust the steering wheel height to suit. Mark the bracket location on the column. Remove the column and bracket. Fit the bracket on the column using the marks made earlier and weld. Reinstall the column. Cut a small notch in the steering column bezel to allow the turn signal wires to pass through. Connect the turn signal wires. On later models the socket will plug in to the stock Bronco wiring. If the plugs don't match up, connect the wires as follows:

CIRCUIT EB WIRING COLUMN WIRING
Left front turn signal Green/white Green/white
Left rear turn signal Yellow/black Yelow/black
Right front turn signal White/blue White/blue
Right rear turn signal ??/green Green
Backup light switch Red/black Red/black
Emergency flashers Black Blue

Doyle

Bronco Guru
Hey guys, look close, what I posted was the write up from BCs, LOL.

Todd, enjoyed your article in Bronco Driver.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
I did this swap about 6 months ago mine is a 1972 with a column from 78 or 79 TR. wiring was completely off ..I finally got one of the mech.to do mine at work of couse like mech. are he wouldnt tell me what he did to get it going...
One of the good things about this swap is that you can weld that strap on the column where you want it so that you can have the arm lenght to the steering wheel that '' you need''' Big belly or little skinny guy!!
Let me ask a guestion here, same mech. rebuilt me column it was auto and I changed it too a std column ..only problem after it's installed it'll go down
between your legs but will not go but about one notch more than staight at
you...DO you suppose that when he put it back together he put it the rack
upside down in it ....ANY one done enough of these too have see this before ...