• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

TRO in da Works

Mr Joe

Bronco Guru
Some of you know, I suffered some slight tierod damage back in June. I have started to correct these slight issues using 1.5" DOM, Chevy TRE's and TRO. I have it mocked up. I'll be putting a riser inplace of the drop bracket on the draglink.... Bill......wanna do me a favor?:-*
I may need to change the tracbar to something thinner...

Here's some pics of where the damage happened, what it looked like off the truck and a few of the new linkage.

Comments, suggestions are welcome ;D

Attachments

• 40th Trip 063 small.jpg
    40th Trip 063 small.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 109
  • psTRO with Chevy 1 tons 001.jpg
    psTRO with Chevy 1 tons 001.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 73
  • psTRO with Chevy 1 tons 004.jpg
    psTRO with Chevy 1 tons 004.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 163
  • psTRO with Chevy 1 tons 003.jpg
    psTRO with Chevy 1 tons 003.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 138
  • psTRO with Chevy 1 tons 006.jpg
    psTRO with Chevy 1 tons 006.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 108

chris

No more Rock Crawler
Yea, that looks like it will hit. Give Drew P. a call, he can make you up a custom trac bar.

Keep up the good work Joe!

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
Nice pretzel job on the old linkage Joe!

You don't need a new track bar.

You do need to get rid of the track bar drop bracket at the frame. It's a little bit too much drop.

To get everything lined back up and happy, look at a track bar riser from WH (I understand that BC has one in the works, no news on it's availability yet though) and get it welded on. By using a riser at the axle, it will also get the track bar nut out of the way of your nice, new linkage.

It looks like you have a stock pitman arm, and if your track bar mount isn't the same height, you may need to build one. (I'm planning to build one for my wife's rig, the one on my 76 is perfect for a pattern, just too thin)

Here's how it all sorts out, when you look at the front of your rig, you want for the drag link to hide the track bar.

OP
OP
Mr Joe

Mr Joe

Bronco Guru
I installed the stock pitman when I did the TRO. I have the riser sitting here looking at me. I'm braving the heat out there today trying to raise the frame side of the tracbar in preparation of the axle riser. I just need to get it runable enough to get it to my local welder... HINT: Bill ;D

The drag link and the tracbar will be on the same plane when it's done. ;)

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
Perfect!

IT sounds like you've got it all figured out. Post pics when you're done...

OP
OP
Mr Joe

Mr Joe

Bronco Guru
Here's today's progress... I relocated the frame mount position for the tracbar, trimmed the stablizer mount, trimmed the tracbar bolt at the axle, painted the links and gave it a quick alignment. Now I'm ready for the riser....

Attachments

• psTRO with Chevy 1 tons Day 2 004.jpg
    psTRO with Chevy 1 tons Day 2 004.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 83
  • psTRO with Chevy 1 tons Day 2 002.jpg
    psTRO with Chevy 1 tons Day 2 002.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 53
  • psTRO with Chevy 1 tons Day 2 003.jpg
    psTRO with Chevy 1 tons Day 2 003.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 74
OP
OP
Mr Joe

Mr Joe

Bronco Guru
73stallion said:
lookin good joe! how hot is it out there?

Last I checked it was 95 with an index of 102... that was 11:30 this morning...

saxman

Loc.
Austin, TX
Mr Joe said:
Last I checked it was 95 with an index of 102... that was 11:30 this morning...

How big is your lift? What year is the chasis? I am trying to figure out if I can go Chevy TRO with my '77. I have a 2.5" lift.

OP
OP
Mr Joe

Mr Joe

Bronco Guru
saxman said:
How big is your lift? What year is the chasis? I am trying to figure out if I can go Chevy TRO with my '77. I have a 2.5" lift.

It's a '73 with Drums. The lift is 3.5". I'm thinking with your '77 there may be an issue between the rod ends and the wheel... unless you go with a bigger wheel. Perhaps someone who realluy knows will chime in. :)

saxman

Loc.
Austin, TX
Mr Joe said:
It's a '73 with Drums. The lift is 3.5". I'm thinking with your '77 there may be an issue between the rod ends and the wheel... unless you go with a bigger wheel. Perhaps someone who realluy knows will chime in. :)

The wheels are an easy fix. I am going to go with a 3.25 backspace wheel sooner or later.

I am more concerned with clearance problems of a 2.5" lift with TRO. Not sure if I need a riser bracket and if that needs to be modified as well??

workhorse

Saxman,

I just did the TRO without any lift. My rig drives great, but I need to adjust some things. My drag link and tie rod are about parallel, and my tie rod just scratches the paint off when locked right & left.