• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

How To Remove Choke Mechanism??

bfoldy

Contributor
Loc.
Torrance, CA
I have a '66 with factory/dealer? installed choke cable and I need to replace it with a new one with a longer cable. The knob is all the way to the left of the dash underneath the light switch. Is there a way to get this thing out without removing the dash? Looks like it takes a 5/8" wrench on the back side of the dash, but I can seem to get the wrench on the "nut" due to the speedometer cluster and that whole mess of wiring being in the way. Am I SOL unless I remove the dash?

Thanks in advance to anyone who might be able to help.

Last edited:

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
I removed and replaced the choke cable on my '66, but I had the whole dash out when I did it. 2 options may help you get at it better -

1. You may be able to remove the 4 screws holding the speedo head in the dash and push it back enough to get your hand and wrench on it, or

2. If you remove the driver's side vent box from under the hood you can get pretty good access to behind the dash.

Try these before you attempt to pull the whole dash.

OP
OP
bfoldy

bfoldy

Contributor
Loc.
Torrance, CA
Thanks, Scoop!

I was able to unscrew the speedometer cluster and push it back enough for me to slide a wrench in from the front of the dash through the opening. From there, I stuck my head under the dash and was able to place the wrench right where I needed it.

Last edited: