• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Help educate me on driveshaft mounted e-brakes

FordTruckGuyFX4

Loc.
East TN
I'm familiar with operation from working on them on the f-650/750s at my dealership but who all sells them for the broncos and smaller trucks. also what is cost and install like on average. anyone here done it?

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
personally i don't like one thing about them; loose your driveshaft, loose your parking brake. just something to keep in mind.

crawln68

Bronco Guru
I got mine from High Angle Driveline for my NP205. I'm not sure if they make for the Dana 20 or not. It's a pretty easy install, couple of hours. I went to the you-pull-yard and found an e-brake handle out some import car that fit between the front seats in the EB nicely.

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
I like the concept, but not the practical application of them.

Bust a driveshaft, and you're sunk.

I like my e-brakes at the wheel. Even in deep water crossings, my 'crummy' old stock drums still manage to hold my rig pretty well.

The only thing I'd ever want pinion or t-case mounted brakes on would be a competition buggy.

gddyap

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Mtn View, CA
High Angle has it for the Dana 20. You have to upgrade to the 32sp AA output shaft. High Angle has a flange yoke that mounts to the 32sp output shaft that the brake rotor mounts to.

Lose your rear driveshaft, put it 4WD. You're going to have to anyway to move. Parking brake will hold the t-case and also the front wheels from turning. Now if you lose your rear output shaft, then you lose your parking brake.

Lose your rear driveshaft or rear output shaft and you lose your mechanical emergency brake.

DebosDave'72

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Bozeman, MT
I like the idea of a shaft mounted parking brake also, however, if you are in 2wd when you lose a rear driveshaft, you are in trouble... unless you are in a flat spot, or you have someone to go put in your hubs while you hold on the regular brakes, there will be an EB rolling down a hill if you try to get out. If you were by yourself, and the driveline/output shaft broke on a hill, you can't go anywhere.... What do you do? better find something to put under a tire, because the transmission isn't going to keep er stopped and no e-brake....

Dave

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
crawln68 said:
I got mine from High Angle Driveline for my NP205. I'm not sure if they make for the Dana 20 or not. It's a pretty easy install, couple of hours. I went to the you-pull-yard and found an e-brake handle out some import car that fit between the front seats in the EB nicely.

Pat,
You got pics?

crawln68

Bronco Guru
I haven't taken any yet. But I can as soon as I get home tonight. I'll post them later. ;)

There a million different "what if's" you can say about any modifications that we do to our machines. This is just a good option for those that are running four wheel disc brakes and the rear calipers have no provision for a parking brake. This is certainly better than no parking brake at all.

If you break a rear driveline while one a steep hill, chances are you are already going to be in four wheel drive and locked up, so would still have your front wheels to hold you. If for some reason you want to get out of your rig, kill the engine and put in park or first gear and it will hold you just fine. Assuming you have everything in low gear. Just my .02.

BRONKEN

Loc.
Morgan Hill, Ca
I agree with Pat. You can come up with a scenario for just about anything. I have wheeled for many many years and NEVER broke a driveshaft. I have no issues using this sytle of e-brake.
Ken

DebosDave'72

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Bozeman, MT
I am just playing devil's advocate. like you said, when you are running disk brakes all the way around, that may be the only answer, and yes, it is much better than nothing at all... just offering a what if... I know that we can come up with problems with every modification too. Like I said, I like the idea of them, so please don't take my comment as saying they shouldn't be used, just throwing out something to think about... ;)

Dave

welndmn

Bronco Guru
Yes, I was going to build one myself, but after getting line locks, kind of gave up.
If you want to buy one, High angle driveline has a kit.
The kit is 300$ ish.
If you do not have a High angle rear shaft already, you can either upgrade your outputshaft with a Wild horses output, or High angle can do a Customer 10 spline flange for you (200 extra ish)

H

Heinz_67

The kit appears to be $300 from High Angle but don't forget to add $100 for the flange adapter for the D20 and a new driveshaft because they do not make one for a 1310 yoke and you're looking more at $700.

Last time I checked they were going to make a kit for 1310 driveshafts, not sure if it's out yet or not. Point being, at the time I looked into it (last year) it was going to cost me more than $700 to make it happen. I decided that money was better spent on a new Currie HD housing with Ford SVO disc brakes with integrated drum e-brake.

Jim

Fishmanndotcom

Loc.
senoia, GA
if you are running a hd rear output like what wild horses sells you can go to the j-yard and find a front rotor from a front wheel drive geo tracker. they are 32 spline and fit perfectly on the output shaft of the NP205's or 32 spline output of the HD setup. bolt it on with a standard nut (dot forget the locktite!). the rotor has 4 holes drilled that i BELIEVE a flange mount will bolt to but i cant remember. it's been a few years. either way once you get the rotor bolted on you can fab the flange on and then run your d/shaft.

i'll have to look it up but there is a cable actuated caliper and bracket you can find in the j-yard and it work just right. gotta dig up the info

-cutts-

Skuzzlebutt

PhD, Dr. of Broncology
Loc.
Honeymoon Bay
Gummi Bear said:
I like the concept, but not the practical application of them.

Bust a driveshaft, and you're sunk.

I like my e-brakes at the wheel. Even in deep water crossings, my 'crummy' old stock drums still manage to hold my rig pretty well.

The only thing I'd ever want pinion or t-case mounted brakes on would be a competition buggy.

If you're in a situation where both the driveshaft and the hydraulics fail at the same time, you're probably so bad off that a functioning e-brake wouldn't help one bit.

H

Heinz_67

crawln68 said:
Here you go! $269 from High Angle ready to bolt in and go.

Does that include both the t-case flange and the driveshaft flange? If so, that is one heck of a price.