• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

BC Broncos Throttle Cable

ezbngreen

Loc.
Seattle, WA
I'm installing the throttle cable at BC, but will have to do some serious grinding to get the bracket to work.

Has anyone installed this system? Is some grinding normal?

Thanks.

John

COBlu77

Loc.
Arvada, CO
You shouldn't have to grind on it at all. What is causing the problem? Where are you needing to grind?

I had trouble with the AIS clearing, and I rotated the AIS 180 degrees to get a tight fit. You also have to take the throttle body off, line up the bracket and then put both over the throttle body bolts at the same time.

72Sport

Bronco Guru
ezbngreen said:
I'm installing the throttle cable at BC, but will have to do some serious grinding to get the bracket to work.

Has anyone installed this system? Is some grinding normal?

Thanks.

John

Grinding is normal if you leave the instructions on the desk at BC Broncos like I did. I ground on mine and ended up tossing it because I guessed wrong on how it was supposed to be installed. If I remember right it only mounts with one bolt. It will fit without grinding if you install it the way it was intended. I saw a picture of one after I tossed mine and realized what I did wrong. I think I may have been trying to mount it upside down or down side up.;D

ponch0v

Which BCB throttle cable are you installing? EFI or carb?

Neither kit requires any grinding mount.

scsm76

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Shaver Lake, CA
I did have to make a slight modifaction to mine to work with a larger aftermarket throttle body, but with the stock TB no grinding except to get the ball stud out of throttle body pivot.

OP
OP
E

ezbngreen

Loc.
Seattle, WA
The throttle cable is for a carb.

It's hitting on a little screw (looks like a jet screw) in side of the carb. I'll look up what it does tonight.

Anyway, I was going to grind about a 1/8" off the bracket to make it fit around the screw.

Does anyone have a picture of the install?

I appeciate the help.

John

ponch0v

what kinda carb? can you give us some pics?

i think the throttle cable kit was originally developed for the q-jet. if you have something else you may have to do some fitting.

bfoldy

Contributor
Loc.
Torrance, CA
I guess it depends on where you are trying to mount the bracket to.....My manifold has a couple of places tapped already, but I mounted my bracket at one of the four bolts at the base of the carb.

shifter

Loc.
Agua Dulce, CA
This photo is not so good but you should be able to make out the bracket. I have used the same cable and mount with holley and Q-jet carbs with no clearance issues.

Attachments

• P1010002.JPG
    P1010002.JPG
    88.5 KB · Views: 134

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
My installation looks just like the pic posted by shifter. I mounted the bracket to the manifold using one of the carb bolts and the linkage to the carb on the outside of the throttle bracket (or whatever you call it on the carb). Again, bolted right up with no grinding of any kind necessary

admin

Administrator
Just your friendly, neighborhood webmaster...
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
Hmmm...looking at the photo shifter posted maybe I have mine mounted incorrectly. His is vertical and mine is horizontal. My carb is the stock Motocraft 2100 2 bbl.

I don't recall the instructions giving specifics on the mounting, but maybe I just tossed them in typical guy fashion.

Attachments

• enginebay2 005.jpg
    enginebay2 005.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 100
OP
OP
E

ezbngreen

Loc.
Seattle, WA
That's interesting. I don't think the way I was trying to install it doesn't looks like either one of those photos.

I'll post some photos when I get off work. I have the stock carb.

72Sport

Bronco Guru
Mine was for a Q-Jet. Again I can't remember what I did wrong but it mounts on top of the carburetor base using only the one rear corner bolt. I think there was a tab to keep it from rotating. I tried to make the tab go in the empty hole used by the GM cable bracket. Thats when the grinding started. I must have had the cable either coming from the wrong side or in the wrong hole or both. I was probably suffering from the "Vinatage Air No Bracket Fits Syndrome" and started grinding before thinking.

ponch0v

admin said:
I don't recall the instructions giving specifics on the mounting, but maybe I just tossed them in typical guy fashion.

weee dunt neeed no stinkin instructions;D

72Sport

Bronco Guru
Walnut. If I was going to use a cable on a stock carb I think I would try a early 80's Mustang bracket. It mounts in the holes in the manifold just like the pivot does for the stock linkage. Not sure if it will work with the BC cable.

OP
OP
E

ezbngreen

Loc.
Seattle, WA
I think you're right- the bracket doesn't seem to work. If I use the single bolt at the carb, it doesn't fit around the screw. If I use one of the two bolts on the engine block, it is 4" too low and won't work the throttle.

See photo.

Attachments

• Throttle.JPG
    Throttle.JPG
    164 KB · Views: 53

rmfreeze

Loc.
Benton, Arkansas
I installed mine just like the pic by shifter. I've got a TA670 carb on a Weiand Stealth intake on my 351w. The turn at the back is tighter against the firewall, though.