• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

New Gear Break In?

Steve

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grand Junction, CO
I just got done helping a buddy install ARBs & 4.88 gears front & rear. All of the gear installs I've done for the past few years have been in trail-only rigs, or in a front axle with lockouts, where it's not really an issue. This vehicle will see street and highway driving, as well as serious rock crawling. Besides not jumping on the interstate right away and driving at sustained highway speeds, what gear break in should he do?

TIA :cool:

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
The biggest issue is getting them hot before the pattern is worn into them. Keep trips down to under 20 to 30 minutes for the first couple hundred miles then change the gear oil. Some people run them on stands to break them in but IMO that doesn't give a proper break in. (There should be some resistance to keep the gears meshed solid)

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
I think it calls for one samll drive like said above. Then after cooling another drive on the road for longer. Can't remember the mile amounts but the second trip was about an hour on surface streets in the city.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
one recommended way is to drive it for 15min then allow to cool before driving another 15 min. and cooling again then drive it easy for the first 500 miles then change the oil you should be good to go.