• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Tire Carrier / Bumper problems

Mullett

Loc.
Manassas, VA
I had a problem last week with a stock tire carrier I had purchased to put on my 66. I have finally been able to get the carrier on and it is level and working fine - Now I have a new problem - I also have bought a Smittybuilt tube bumper. It will not slip under the lower hinge mount of the carrier (Off by about an inch). Once I resolve this problem I can tell I will also have a problem with the tire hitting - (Probably 2-3 inches). My tires are not oversized at all, but I would like to get 33s on eventually. It is obvious that I will need to install a body lift. I don't want any more body lift than necissary. Any other ideas for how to resolve the problem. I have installed a suspension lift on a previous 71, but have never installed a body lift - Advantages/Disadvantages? What other modifications would have to be made with a body lift, especially if I had to go as high as 3 inches on the body lift?

OP
OP
Mullett

Mullett

Loc.
Manassas, VA
Raising the bracket is exactly what Inow have in mind. A 1 inch body lift should get the bumper under the carrier hinge. My plan is to get some tubing of the same diameter as the carrier hoop and fabricate an "A" frame type extension to weld on top of the hoop. Something like this - Please forgive the 3rd grade graphic:
..............................................________...........................................
................................._______/_________\______ ..............................
................................/......................................l..............................
.............................../.......................................l..............................
............................../_________________________l..............................

I can get 3-4 inches higher than the current location and drill a new hole for the bolt that secures the hold down plate. I will have to extend it out wide so I can still access the latch release. Any one have any other ideas or see any problems with this idea.

boomeroid

Loc.
Reno, NV
Might want to check the rubber/urathane body mounts. Mine were actually MIA when I got my Bronco. Body was resting on the frame. Love that PO

OP
OP
Mullett

Mullett

Loc.
Manassas, VA
I did check this and it actually seems as if they are larger than the others at other points on the frame - I am assuming this is normal due to the frame shape to get the body level. The PO did remplace all of the body mounts with poly mounts - so if I do go with a body lift getting the bolts off shouldnt be too difficult - knock on wood. Any one know what the height should be on these rear mounts? It seems as if mine has 2-3 inches from frame to body on the rear mounts.