• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

keepin it straight

jlp76bronco

Loc.
clarksville,tn.
i just installed a 5.5 lift on my 76. dual shocks front and back,new steering stabilizer,new rims and 35" m/t claws. im havin a hell of atime keepin it on the road.thought i'd get used to it till i got pulled over.cop thought i was drunk,lucky this time i'd had no sud's.had it lined up,swapped tires around,no help.any ideas?

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
Time to start checking the front linkage out. Check alignment(especially if 4 wheel parts did it). If you still have the inverted y steering it might be time to upgrade. Those 35's could be pushing it around . If already upgraded check for drag link adjustment. Did you install a drop pitman? Do you have the right c-bushings for the lift?

astark

Contributor
Bronco God
I suspect you will need a Wild Horses Track Bar Riser Bracket and it might be a good idea to go with a Stone Crusher Steering System too. I recently went with a 3.5 lift and here is a link that would be applicable to your 5.5 as well.

Check it out for what it's worth in general

http://www.classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81273

Also check the link in my first post contained in the link above.

Naildriver111

Loc.
Rainsville, AL
Did you use a drop pitman arm? If so, check to see if it slides up an down on the steering shaft when turning the steering wheel. I had to add a 1/8" washer below the arm to keep my 76 straight on the road.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Wandering can be caused by a lot of things especailly with a tall lift. If it was aligned do you have the caster numbers? usually even with the 7 degree bushings on 5.5 in lifts it wont have enough caster to stay very straight on the road. Along with all the things everyone else has suggested you might want to check your tire pressure. I had a new set of tires installed and when I left the shop and got on the hiway I was all over the road. When I pulled over and checked the presssure they all had about 50 psi in them dropped it down to 30 and drove like it was supposed to.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'd second the caster thing. It's actually pretty common to put the C-bushings in backwards. Yes, even after checking and re-checking to make sure.
If that the case, then yeah, it's pretty scary.
Otherwise, what everyone else said.

Paul