• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

V8 convertion ????

burntfish

Loc.
ouray, co
I'm getting ready to do the conversion and need some info. I've got a 66 with a 170 3 speed Dana 20. I need to know what all I will need for the conversion. I know somethings like radiator, rad mounts, rad shroud, motor mounts, v8 3speed,header, and exhaust. What else will I need ( clutch, fuel lines or anything else small). I'm putting in a 72 302 out of a bronco. Thanks in advance for any help.;D

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
clutch llinkage on the side of the v-8. If you go for a bc 3-core radiator it uses the stock mounts and cools better than the 4-cores that are made for the EB's. You will need the drop brackets for the lower mounts. They are easy to fab up youself if you get the measurements from someone. Also if you have the extra $$ get one of the metal shrouds. They don't crack like the stock ones(cracked 2 of em).You also need new motor mount towers(frame brackets). You shouldn't have a problem trading your intermediate housing for a v-8 one. Guys want the short one for 435 swaps. I swapped in a 351w from a 6-cyl on our 66.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Does he have the correct adaptor if he put a np435 in it.....
What trans did you plan on using ....If your planing on a 5 speed then disreguard but If you think your going to stay with the 3 speed then D O N T ....
Now is the time to change to the np435 until I put power steering on I thought this was the best swap I'd done ...But after power steering well it ranks very high up as best swap .....I bought 3 np435 for 75.00 each ...
Keep us posted my running buddy has a 1983 efi 302 an auto he is starting his swap into his 1966 I6 ....
So keep us posted and I'll try and post for him if it ever get started ...

scsm76

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Shaver Lake, CA
You will also need a different throttle linkage or cable. If you can I would go to the NP435 if it will see a lot of trail use if you are going to do on road look at a NV3500 or the NV4500 for the best of both. If you are considering an auto a C4 is an easy swap.

mountain14er

Loc.
Denver
Not to be a salesman but I've got a C4/dana 20 for sale and I'll be down in Gunnison this weekend. PM me if you're interested.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
DAmn burntfish you got people begging to delerver ...Just put some beer on ice and a stake on the BBQ and I think you'll have enough help to get-r-done this week end....10-04 go for the np435