• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Who has installed a D44 from a FSB?

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
I am about to install the D44 with disc brakes from a '79 Bronco that I've had sitting around for a few years (yes I know I'm a slacker). The guy I bought it from (kyle here on the board) shortened it to EB width for me before shipping it. I've looked at it sitting in my garage on a number of occasions, but never really took the time to look at any differences that might present issues. After removing the D30 last weekend, I've been looking at the D44 with a bit more of a critical eye. It seems that it's going to be a piece of cake to bold up in place of the D30, but there are a couple of small issues that I'm wondering if anyone has solved by doing this swap before. First of all, the breather bolt hole is smaller than the EB D30. As of now, I plan to re-drill to the larger size and tap it for the EB breather bolt. This way I can still use the EB braided stainless brake line that has the larger hole as well. The second issue is the bump stop mounts that are welded to the D30 housing are nonexistent on the D44. On the D30, not only did these mounts hold the bump stops, but they were also what the trac bar bolt mounted to, and the brake line brackets where the hardlines thread into the flex lines to the drums/discs were attached to them as well. On the D44, the trac bar bolt is mounted by itself using a different type of bracket than the EB D30. Any advice from anyone who has solved these two small issues would be appreciated.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
brake line is not a problem I'd just bolt it on the larger hole should make little differance. I beleive the brake line brackets were bolted on near the C bushing wedges on 78/79 axles check for some small bolt holes. For bump stops you'll have to fab up something 78/79 had them on the frame. You might want to look through the links section or do a search for fullsize swaps to get more info. I beleive you also need to have at least 3.5in lift to run the reverse pinion axle or you'll hit the oil pan. Most people leave the trac bar mount in its current location but you'll probably need a adjustable trac bar to get it lined up correctly.
Keep in mind I havent personally done this swap but I am very familir with both setups and have researched the swap.