• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Hood Lift shocks

TOFIC

Bronco Wrencher and Fixer
Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
Most of us like lift shocks but do not know how to get these on our Broncos.
Here are some hints and tips.

The U-Jerk yard approach.
Go down to your favorite Ujerk parts place and start looking for a mini-van that has the rear hatch shocks that are working. Get both shocks off the van and the mounting balls and hardware for the shocks.
When you go to install these on the Bronco, you must reinforce the mount points, especially on the hood. Use a couple of pieces of 3/4 inch square tubing inserted into the hood channel for the braceing. tack weld the braces in and bolt the top pivot to this brace.
The lower mount point is the one you have to decide where to mount. Mine is mounted up by the firewall on the inner fenders This gets the lift shocks out of the way when you are working on the Bronco but you must have the strong liftgate shocks to do this mount.
The other lower mount point is on the inner fender again, up by the rad support. Although this puts the shocks in a different mount configuration this mounting does not require as strong a shock.
This is the inexpensive way of doing this as the lift gate shocks sell for 12 to 15 dollars apiece in the upull yards and the little pieces of channel cost me a fiver at the local machine shop. He even tack welded them in for me for that.
The Vender Approach.
Most if not all Bronco Venders have this modification. The consensus is the firewall mount point for these. Nothing wrong with this and if you do not have the time or inclination to do the upull thing this is a great way of getting this modification. Nice thing is most of these kits come with all the hardware with them including the hood bracing.
A simple and great modification easy to do with simple mechanics tools