• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Do I need my egr t-bird efi

Galt72

Contributor
I'm finishing up the installing 93 t-bird efi. To install the egr I'll need to have my exhaust modified to except the heat pipe. It's not that big a deal. I've read tonight some mustang forums where guys are just deleting the egr all together. I hoping to get some thoughts from those who have already done the efi conversion.

Thanks Ed

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Galt72 said:
I'm finishing up the installing 93 t-bird efi. To install the egr I'll need to have my exhaust modified to except the heat pipe. It's not that big a deal. I've read tonight some mustang forums where guys are just deleting the egr all together. I hoping to get some thoughts from those who have already done the efi conversion.

Thanks Ed

I am not familiar with the 93 upper/lower intakes, but I assume that they are the same as a Mustang? The egr source comes from the cross-over between the heads, up from the lower to the upper. The Explorer intake uses the exh manifold for a exhaust source. A bunch of the vendors make block off plates that fit between the upper and the TB on the mustang. I think its is about 30/70 split on those who have egr vs. the have nots. Fordfuelinjection.com has a diagram that shows how you hook up some resistors to fool the ECU to think that the egr is there. I have mine hooked up since I live in "Kalifornia":(
Sounds like more work for you to hook it up...
Doug

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
I think most of us have eliminated them. Don't know for certain what you need to do to block it off but I do know they sell special blockoff plates to put in place of the EGR plate between the throttle body and the intake. (They are set up to connect the throttle linkage since it normally is bolted into the EGR plate) If you do run without it be sure to install the resistors to tell the ECM it is closed. Otherwise it will think it is open and you will have troubles getting it to run right.

OP
OP
Galt72

Galt72

Contributor
Thanks for the info, I'm from Ka. as well but havent had to smog it for years, mines a 72. The T-bird is different than the mustang. The nose of the upper is longer and curved. The egr is in the same place as the mustang but there is a heat tube that extends from the bottom of the egr down to the exhaust manifold. The throttle bolts in above the egr so it's good to go. It appears it would be as easy as unbolting it and making a plate to cover the hole. I'll have to read up on those resisters before I decide which way to go. Is performace affected by running without one?

Thanks again, Ed

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Galt72 said:
Thanks for the info, I'm from Ka. as well but havent had to smog it for years, mines a 72. The T-bird is different than the mustang. The nose of the upper is longer and curved. The egr is in the same place as the mustang but there is a heat tube that extends from the bottom of the egr down to the exhaust manifold. The throttle bolts in above the egr so it's good to go. It appears it would be as easy as unbolting it and making a plate to cover the hole. I'll have to read up on those resisters before I decide which way to go. Is performace affected by running without one?

Thanks again, Ed
No. The only time it would really be effected is when it is first started and the MAF ECM usually does a good job of dealing with it. Not certain on the T-Bird ECM specifically though. (I know it runs with one or two sensors missing that the Mustang system uses) At any rate as long as it knows it is closed it should be able to cope with it.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The EGR on that engine pull exhaust from an external pipe, like the '97 up Explorers. Not the standard crossover in the intake.

If you unplug the vacuum hose to the EGR (cap the exhaust inlet as well for good measure against vacuum leaks) and leave the sensor plugged in to the EGR then should be fine. you will get a code for EGR not opening, but the computer will live with that. if you unplug the sensor the computer just doesn't get a signal and may assume the valve is working correctly and guess at bad fuel and spark tables giving drivability issues.

OP
OP
Galt72

Galt72

Contributor
Broncobowsher said:
The EGR on that engine pull exhaust from an external pipe, like the '97 up Explorers. Not the standard crossover in the intake.

If you unplug the vacuum hose to the EGR (cap the exhaust inlet as well for good measure against vacuum leaks) and leave the sensor plugged in to the EGR then should be fine. you will get a code for EGR not opening, but the computer will live with that. if you unplug the sensor the computer just doesn't get a signal and may assume the valve is working correctly and guess at bad fuel and spark tables giving drivability issues.

So, I leave the EGR attached to the upper intake. I unplug the vacuum hose from the EGR and plug the hose "no air leaks". I leave the EGR plugged into the harness. Since there is no vacuum to open the EGR, there is no need to cap where the external pipe attaches to it.

Have I got it?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
So, I leave the EGR attached to the upper intake.
-correct

I unplug the vacuum hose from the EGR and plug the hose "no air leaks".
-correct

I leave the EGR plugged into the harness.
-correct

Since there is no vacuum to open the EGR, there is no need to cap where the external pipe attaches to it.
-I would still prefer to cap the inlet to the EGR just to be safe about an air leak at that location as well.

COBlu77

Loc.
Arvada, CO
On the first EFI conversion I did with my original 302, I used one of those things that you plug into the harness to tell the computer that the EGR was closed. That configuration always ran a little lean. I was also running long tube headers and a non-EFI cam, which may have confused the issue.

On my 351W, I'm using the EGR and it no longer runs too lean, but I went to a stock cam designed for EFI and went back to stock exhaust manifolds. The stock heads and GT40 intake I have are designed for EGR. I originally ran my 351W without EGR, but found it ran better and did not effect performance when I had it hooked up.

I say if you have the correct plumbing for it use it, otherwise get some custom programming that turns it off in the ECU. Despite getting a closed signal from the EGR sensor, I believe stock ECU programs still leans the mixture when the EGR would normally open.

ctowery

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Wellington Nevada
I see that you have the same intake as I do. I don't have the egr system hooked up and would like to. If you get a chance could you make a diagram for the hose routing. Or if you know of a link to where I can find out. I have looked for years and can't find this info.

Thanks, Cary

OP
OP
Galt72

Galt72

Contributor
My son works as a mech at a dealership. He got this diagram for me. Hope it helps.

image.jpg

fordtrucks4ever

Bronco Guru
Loc.
DFW
This is addressed on fordfuelinjection. IIRC, you block off or remove everything and not worry about the code. The egr only kicks in when at constant highway speed and when open it causes a lean condition. If the egr is working or not, it shouldnt affect any readings to compensate for. It will just display a fault code. The resister is to fake the eec with a completed circut. It will drop the return signal to the correct voltage as an equipped egr.