• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Early vs. late window frames

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Although the Early Bronco remained fairly similar in body style throughout its 12 model year run, there were some differences through the years. Arguably the biggest of which are the very early years being equipped with doors that had removeable window frames. One of the most endearing qualities of our beloved Early Broncos is it's removeable hard top. Once convertible weather gets here, many a Bronco owner has a hard top sitting unused collecting dust somewhere on his property. However, once the hard top is removed, the window frames look somewhat out of place. It seems that Ford's engineers felt the same way as '66, '67, and '68 Broncos came from the factory with doors with window frames that could be removed by removing five bolts and then sliding the window frame and vent window assembly out the top of the door. In 1969, the removable window frames were discontinued in favor of permanent window frames spot welded in place. Although the doors to all Early Broncos are the same dimensions and utilize the same hinges, the '66 and '67 doors used a different striker post and located that post in a different location than Early Broncos of later years. Early Bronco owners who have a '69 or newer model and want to convert to the doors with removable window frames unfortunatley have only one bolt on option - finding a set of 1968 doors. In 1968, the Early Bronco still had the removeable frames, but was changed to the later style striker and striker location, making them the most coveted doors of any year Early Bronco. In fact, in September 2006, there was a prospective seller trying to sell a set of 1968 doors for $1,400 in the classifieds section of classicbroncos.com. Needless to say, he wasn't successful. For the Early Bronco owner who's interested in having a set of the removable window frame doors, there are a couple of options other than tracking down a set of the elusive 1968 doors. Some Early Bronco owners who are adept at body work have successfully integrated the early style striker post in the correct location on their 1969 and later models, while others have simply drilled out the spot welds holding the later model window frames in place and modified them accordingly to accept nuts and bolts, effectively making them a later model lift off window frame door.

clarrance

Bronco Guru
Or you could buy a new set of doors and window frames which are now sold new from all the vendors which have the bolt in style window frames.

nogreenfome

I'm looking for inside body measurements in the bed of the bronco to the bronco cab.

1. What is the steel body's original fender well length? Width?

2. What is the distance from the inside front of the rear fender well to the fold under the driver and passenger seat?

Any diagrams would be appreciated.

Joker11

Loc.
Yuma, Arizona
I have had 2 sets of doors for my 69. The ones on it and the ones I had as donor spares.
Both of them had window frames welded to the doors. I don't mean spot welded. I mean welded at the meeting points.
They were both factory paint. No aftermarket paint on them.

So how did that happen?

rydog1130

Bronco Guru
I have original doors on my 68, dont know if i should repair them or sell them and buy new ones ? thoughts?

OP
OP
thegreatjustino

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
I have had 2 sets of doors for my 69. The ones on it and the ones I had as donor spares.
Both of them had window frames welded to the doors. I don't mean spot welded. I mean welded at the meeting points.
They were both factory paint. No aftermarket paint on them.

So how did that happen?

As explained in the article, in '69 the frames were permanently attached. No longer unboltable and removable. So, your '69 doors are exactly as they should be. The '68 doors were the last year of factory removable frames.

Joker11

Loc.
Yuma, Arizona
But what I read from other owners is that the frames are spot welded down below the top of the door, down in the jamb area. Mine are welded on TOP of the door. The welds are visible.

Is that how they are supposed to be?

clarrance

Bronco Guru
Yes, they are supposed to be welded in both places, on top of the door & the tracks are spot welded to both the front and rear areas down the ends of the door.

rydog1130

Bronco Guru
66 Doors pair excellent condition

Wouldn't 66 doors be the rarest? After all the frames are removable and the door latch is in a different position from all the other doors making them specific to that one year

OP
OP
thegreatjustino

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
66 and 67 interchange. 68 would be the rarest as they are the one year only door that fits the later latches and has the removable frames.

eddie B

i am restoring a 69 bronco wagon from frame off restoration. having issues in lining up the doors . can anyone tell me the distance between the left and right front and rear door posts ?

Hi thegreatjustino,
man, you seem like you might be a doyen on this issue, and I'm hoping you can help me.
background: I bought a '68 a couple of years ago, and there has always been a huge gap between the windscreen A pillar, and the door window frames. My mechanic is about to try and address this for me (realign doors, new seals etc). Perhaps a part of the issue is that my window frames have a fair bit of movement in them (ie. they can wiggle side to side about an inch at the top of the frame). At the entry point where the window frames go into the door, there is cracked welding (which shouldn't be there on a '68)
My Question: How do I work out if my doors are '68 doors (and some previous owner has just welded the frame in place) or they are doors from some later model?
Sorry for such a longwinded explanation, but I thought a bit of background might help.
Cheers
Henry