• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

170 six cyl running ROUGH!!! Need some advice!!

NCSUWoj

Loc.
Lynchburg, VA
Hey all,
I have a 170 six cyl in a 67 bronco that just doesn't want to run right. Points are gapped right as well as plugs. It idles good and revs up good but just easing into the gas it spits sputters and back fires. The PO put an electric fuel pump on the rail and says he ran for a long time and then went to change the points out adn dropped a screw in the distributor. So he pulled the dist. and then couldn't get it back in right. I feel like I have the timing right and it is the carb. I took the carb apart and cleaned it real good and made sure all the ports were opened up and such. Does that sound like timing or carb to you guys/gals? Any help is greatly appreciated!!

ric9469

Loc.
Orinda, CA
Well if it runs fine at idle and has problems when given gas I'd guess it was carb related, could be a bad accelerator pump or maybe a vacuum leak. Try spraying some carb cleaner around the base of the carb while running and see if there is any change in rpms. It could also be the condensor. Mine went bad and I couldn't keep the thing running beyond a high idle. Fairly inexpensive to change out (not as cheap as it used to be though, cost around $15 nowadays). It could also be time to rebuild the carb. Beyond that I'd recommend getting a Chilton's manual, if you don't already have one and go through their engine troubleshooting guide.
Regards,

kingwc

Loc.
Danville Ky.
I agree with ric9469 swap out the condensor in the distributor first they can do exactly what you are discribing. If that does not work then you will probably need to rebuild or replace the carb.

ochretoe

Loc.
Millington
If he dropped a screw down the dizzy it could be keeping it from advancing as needed. Pull the dizzy and clean it up and put all ne parts in it. Check the carb for air leaks, and check fuel filter. When my filter got clogged it would only mess up at 45mph. Also replace all your wires just to make sure ones not shorting out.

OP
OP
NCSUWoj

NCSUWoj

Loc.
Lynchburg, VA
Got it!

Hey all,
Thanks for the help! Swapped out the fuel filter first, didn't help much. Swapped points and condensor second and it runs like a top now! The wire off the condensor was spinning in the end of it so I don't know if that had something to do with it or not but she runs good now!

Thanks!