• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Wheel hop

BrncoBasher

Loc.
Parts Unknown
I have a bit of a wheel hop problem in my '72. Lot of people (not really EB people) have told me how to get rid of it. What really is the best cure?

icebreaker88

Loc.
Warren,MI
I just made on of these single ladder bar setups using a shackle mount and it works great. I tested it out last weekend and did not linit any flex
These pics are from SamsOffroad not mine, but I did the exact same setup as this
TractionBar3.jpg

TractionBar.jpg

TractionBar4.jpg

Familyman

3x. Used mine 1st time on the Rubicon this year , running up soup bowl, saw it on video and there was the rear wheels spinning but no hop.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Here are some pics of mine. Same basic concept as the one above. Please note though that a single bar will not stop 100% of the wheel hop. It still allows each side to hop back and forth. (I.E. The axle can still pivot in the center) It does stop the axle from wrapping up though which is usually what will get wheel hop started. (I mention this because I noticed that I could get mine hopping when I was digging holes out in the sand) The best option to stop all wheel hop is a ladder bar on each side but that will also limit suspension travel where the single one doesn't. Note: The last picture is of one I sold to another member here.

Attachments

• SaddleUp143.jpg
    SaddleUp143.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 37
  • SaddleUp146.jpg
    SaddleUp146.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 32
  • TractionBar03.jpg
    TractionBar03.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 38

scsm76

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Shaver Lake, CA
Ice breaker and Saddleup are using the best solution in my opinion for a bronco. Even with two ladder bars wheel hop can still occur but eliminating the axle wrap definitly helps dramatically. I have even noticed front axle hop in the sand on a bronco which should have no axle wrap using radius arms.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
scsm76 said:
Ice breaker and Saddleup are using the best solution in my opinion for a bronco. Even with two ladder bars wheel hop can still occur but eliminating the axle wrap definitly helps dramatically. I have even noticed front axle hop in the sand on a bronco which should have no axle wrap using radius arms.
FWIW, the only way I was getting it to hop (And I was also able to do it at both ends) was to unlock one end or the other and intentionally bury it in the sand. Then it didn't start hopping until the frame was down into the sand. I was trying to get it stuck but unfortunately (Or perhaps fortunately) no matter what as soon as I locked the other end in it drove right out.

icebreaker88

Loc.
Warren,MI
SaddleUP, Do you get any kind of binding with only using a normal bushing for the frame end of the bar. I am using a J-Joint to allow the twisting (if that is the right way to word it) side to side of the bar.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
icebreaker88 said:
SaddleUP, Do you get any kind of binding with only using a normal bushing for the frame end of the bar. I am using a J-Joint to allow the twisting (if that is the right way to word it) side to side of the bar.
In a word "No". Or a picture is worth 1000 words. The first picture was taken a few weeks ago at SOB X. (I put the bar on a couple of weeks after SOB 9 last year) The second one is when I replaced the leaf springs that I previously had bent into S shapes. I intentionally left the bar connected when I did so in order to drop the suspension further down than what is possible with it bolted up. (I.E. To verify that there wasn't any binding)

Here are my figures on the ramp between SOB 9 and SOB X. Note that I made 3 changes between that time. I added the traction bar, Replaced the bent leaf springs, and shortened the shackles about 1 1/2" (Because that was how far I had to extend them to sit level with the bent springs).

SOB 9, 37" in front and 47" in back
SOB X, 40" in front and 46" in back

I'm not sure why I gained 3" in front but the 1" loss in back is probably due to the shorter shackle. (Or could be as simple as running different tire pressure this year) I do not believe it has anything to do with the traction bar though.

Attachments

• Ramp30.jpg
    Ramp30.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 29
  • SaddleUp152.jpg
    SaddleUp152.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 40

scsm76

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Shaver Lake, CA
"FWIW, the only way I was getting it to hop (And I was also able to do it at both ends) was to unlock one end or the other and intentionally bury it in the sand. Then it didn't start hopping until the frame was down into the sand. I was trying to get it stuck but unfortunately (Or perhaps fortunately) no matter what as soon as I locked the other end in it drove right out."

I think sand is one of the most likely places to see wheel hop, because when you dig holes and start to come out but fall back in gets the bouncing started. Its been a while since I have been out to the sand, but last time I was there I was able reduce all hop but a little when it was completely barried as you described by turning my shocks all the way stiff (RS9000). If I were a sand junky I would probably run dual shocks all the way around but for most of what I do the singles are far superior.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
scsm76 said:
If I were a sand junky I would probably run dual shocks all the way around but for most of what I do the singles are far superior.
That might do it. My entire suspension is really soft including only running single shocks. I normally avoid the sand anyway. (Once a year I get down there for SOB but otherwise head for the rocks instead)