• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

4bt to chevy nv4500

CRZA1

Loc.
Albuquerque
So I have read until I can't read anymore. I have a 4bt currently sitting in my box van mounted to a th400. I have a chevy nv4500. The transmission will boult to the adapter on the motor. Now I just need to figure out the parts in between. Flywheel and clutch. From what I can gather here, the yahoo 4bt group, and a landcruiser site I also frequent is I have two options.

1. I can buy the expensive Cummins to manual chevy flywheel (new $800ish, or hope to find one used hiding in some dark junkyard and really far away). Then use the 454 12" chevy clutch.

2 I can get a reasonably priced 6BT flywheel, and for the pilot bearing either change the input shaft to a dodge one, or machine the flywheel to fit the chevy pilot bearing. The use a chevy clutch (which one)?

Any help would be appreciated. Reading a standard message board is much easier than navigating the Yahoo groups, so I came here.

Thanks in advance.

Chris

swa0330

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Portland,OR
Use the chevy setup. It makes the clutch setup easier to get working because it uses the external pull style clutch fork with the hydraulic clutch. If you go Chevy with the 454 clutch though, you might not like it. Talk to Steve graham and Andre shoumatoff. They aren't happy with the 454 setup.