• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Priming for paint - Correct proceedure if it's going to be a while

admin

Administrator
Just your friendly, neighborhood webmaster...
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
What's the best way to handle bodywork and primer on a long term project? With 2 little ones my project timelines keep getting longer and l..o..n..g..e..r.

So if a full paint job is realistically a year away, but I want to start doing bodywork now, what's the best way to protect against the weather? I've always been taught that primer and body filler absorb water, so you shouldn't leave them exposed for long periods of time. But paint technology has changed and I'm not sure if that's still the case.

Thanks!

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
High quality epoxy primer/sealer should be good for 1-2 years...think Valspar, PPG, etc. The guys and gals at your local autobody supply should be able to evaluate your needs and sell you what you're looking for.

rcmbronc

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tomah WI
I would strip the area and coat with epoxy primer. Your filler can be put right over the epoxy with a light scuffing. Then epoxy over the fixed are. The epoxy will seal it from the elements.

OP
OP
admin

admin

Administrator
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
Thanks guys. After some research it looks like epoxy primer isn't available in a spray can. (with one exception from Germany) So does everyone really mix up a batch and break out their compressor and spray equip every time they have to do some spot priming?

Steve

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grand Junction, CO
Yeah, I mix and use the compressor/spray gun every time. Jon, will it be sitting outside exposed to the elements? If not, plain old primer/surfacer is fine.

OP
OP
admin

admin

Administrator
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
Steve said:
Jon, will it be sitting outside exposed to the elements? If not, plain old primer/surfacer is fine.
It's garaged, so it won't be sitting out. But I do plan on wheeling it during the process, so it won't exactly stay neat and dry.

I'll try to swing by a local paint shop this week and see what's involved with putting a quick spray system together. I don't plan on spraying the color myself, but just for the primer.

rcmbronc

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tomah WI
As long as you have a air compressore, just either go down to a tractor supply store or look at harbor freight and get a conventional gravity feed cheap spray gun. YOu could get a HVLP gun, but it will take alot of air. If you have a big enough compressor, than Harbor Freight purple HVLP gun is a good one that is quite cheap.

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
How much air supply is needed (min) to use an HVLP gun? I have a 220v 7hp 60 gallon vertical compressor. I have been wanting to make the move away from spray cans for awhile, I am assuming this compressor would work?

Ben

Steve

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grand Junction, CO
bigmuddy said:
How much air supply is needed (min) to use an HVLP gun? I have a 220v 7hp 60 gallon vertical compressor. I have been wanting to make the move away from spray cans for awhile, I am assuming this compressor would work?

Ben
That sounds identical to my compressor; it'll more than keep up with an HVLP gun.

jdrambo

Loc.
Boothwyn, PA
bigmuddy said:

Ben

yeah that's plenty of air. My devilbis HVLP runs off of my 110V 3 hp 10 gallon compressor. just don't go below 3 hp and you'll be fine

74bronc

Bronco Guru
the best way to do it would be to go with any catalyzed primer. i sprayed my bronco with Sherwin williams tinted catalyzed primer over 5 years ago. it started to fade a few years ago, but it has protected the metal very well. it has never been garaged during this time.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Love that PPG epoxy primer. Yes mix up a patch, it is so much better than any primer you can spray out of a can. A PPS system makes clean up a breeze too. I have learned so much about paint screwing mine up and having to do it over.

Bax

Tgure

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Phoenix
Did you get all the patches welded in? I will be priming the 74 in the next 3 to 4 weekends. Your welcome to swing by and I will shoot yours the same day.