• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dana 30 VS Dana 44, My Delima??

Imagator

Loc.
Land O' Lakes, FL
My plan has been to replace my Dana 30 with a 44 since I started my build over a year ago. I am now at the point that I should make a decision since I am looking for disc brakes and stuff. It recently dawned on me that I have know idea why I should go with a Dana 44 when I have a very good Dana 30, other than everyone else seems to do it. I know it is stronger and all but my '66 Bronco was known to be pretty tough 40 years ago stock.

My point is, I plan on going off road through trails and some mud pits but nothing real abusive or extreme. Do I really need a Dana 44? I have 33' tires.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
If you do the Chevy disk conversion then it can be transferred to the Dana 44 after the Dana 30 breaks (Which is going to happen eventually unless you baby it all of the time) Back in 1966 the stock tires were about 28" in diameter, they were pizza cutters, and the wheeling they did with them then was much milder than the wheeling people do now. In 1971 Ford even decided that the Dana 30 wasn't up to the task and started putting Dana 44's in them. I think I've taken it in for scrap now but I use to have a Dana 30 around here that had the carrier literally split in 2 pieces. The gears, axles, and housing were all ruined when it busted. Another reason is that the Dana 44 ball joints are easier to maintain. (Anyone that has rebuilt the Dana 30 king pin setup knows what I am talking about)

OP
OP
I

Imagator

Loc.
Land O' Lakes, FL
Thanks saddleup. So I guess It would be just a matter of time with the 33's. I was hoping to hear a few Dana 30 confidence stories but I guess that is why everyone wants the 44. I will keep on looking for a 44 set up.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
There are a few people that continue to run the Dana 30 but I suspect that they seldom if ever put them in 4WD. Then when they do it is only used for very mild use. Sunday driver types for instance.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Run it till it breaks if you start breaking axle shafts then its time for a upgrade. Quite a few people still run the 30 and some are even running 35 in tires without breaking anything. I'd venture to say that a whole lot of the D44 swaps are just bandwagon swaps because everyone says to and many of the people swapping them in have never even scratched there truck much less put in it 4wd.
If you do the gm disc brake swap on your D30 it will swap over to a D44 when and if you swap.
One more thing about the D30 you can get them for free or close to it because everyone swaps them out. So you could be better off just stock piling D30 parts

69 Bronco

Loc.
Aurora
I'm running a 30 and have had no problems yet. My rig is un cut so the biggest tires I've had for wheeling are 31's and I did some prety serious wheeling (Alamogordo ans Las Cruces areas) when I was stationed in NM.

OP
OP
I

Imagator

Loc.
Land O' Lakes, FL
I think I will go with the Chevy disc upgrade and like you guys said, run it 'till it breaks. Rednk21 just offered me his extra Dana 44 with disc for 250 bucks and it is close enough to pick up. Im sure it will need a few parts but for that price it is worth picking up and saving it as a back up.

Can it cause damage to anything else when it breaks? Where do they usualy give out?

brian72

Early Bronco Student
Yeah - get the 44 and you can build it while you wheel the 30. That is a good option. Where ya going to store the 44 so you can clean it up?

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Imagator said:
I think I will go with the Chevy disc upgrade and like you guys said, run it 'till it breaks. Rednk21 just offered me his extra Dana 44 with disc for 250 bucks and it is close enough to pick up. Im sure it will need a few parts but for that price it is worth picking up and saving it as a back up.

Can it cause damage to anything else when it breaks? Where do they usualy give out?
Gears, axles, carrier. Basically you can usually just unlock the hubs and drive it. The exception is if the knuckle breaks. (Which does happen from time to time) If the knuckle breaks then you either need to rebuild it on the spot or put it on a trailer to get it home if you can get a trailer in to it. (We've done it both ways and it's a normally a lot easier to get it home first) I would check for play in the king pins and then make the decision based on that. If they are tight then you probably will be fine. If they are loose I would get the swap done asap as a preventative measure.

OP
OP
I

Imagator

Loc.
Land O' Lakes, FL
Good information, thanks saddleup and everone else.

Brian- I will be storing it at the house for now. We are building a 40x60 Garage at the property in Ocala so eventually it will go there along with everything else. Sam is giving me the lift from the shop a couple machines and the big compressor. We should have a decent set up. Atleast I will look like I know what I am doing!