• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

First BIG drive shows Bugs

drajj5

Loc.
Ellijay, GA
Got home from work this evening and drove the bronco, (first time down the road ) and oh how the bugs exposed themselves. First off at speed, steering wheel is clocked 90 degrees off. litte bit of vibation was felt due truck sitting for years. Then it happened, The whine of a pwr sterring pump. I knew that I had checked all fluids before venturing off from the house, but a leak had certainly happened. Time to turn around and head for the house. pulling in the drive I felt the grab/release of the sterring wheel as it came to rest in front of the barn. Popped the hood to find where the leak had sprung, "thinking it was from my newly installed hydroboost", Nope, it was the front seal of the steering box. A slow but steady stream of fluid being pumped to the ground. Ihave never had one of these apart but hopefully someone on this site has! Any info to fix this problem would be great!
Thanks, Don

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Do you have a lift? If so what componets do you have? 77's with stock steering setups and a lift without drop pitamn arm or adjustable drag link can make the steering off.
As for the steering pump they are easy to take apart but you will need a puller to get the pulley off to replace the seal. Usually better off just getting a rebuilt box less hassle and less time involved.

OP
OP
drajj5

drajj5

Loc.
Ellijay, GA
Column was installed, with the 'front end' eyballed for straitness. Just a little miscalculation, had never driven before. Pump is OK, whining due to lack of fluid. Leak is located just behind rag joint on steering box. this is not the factory box, it is a box out of a fullsize f150. I think it sat to long in the corner of the garage before I installed it. need to replace the front seal hopefully it is nothing more than a snap ring holding the seal in?

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
My bag I thought it was the pump leaking. If I remember right it is only a snap ring holding the seals in.