• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

I'm puzzled...

MDBronco

Trying to get my 351W running correctly this weekend.

It needed a new carb, so I put on an Edlebrock 4bbl to start. Fires right up! I drove it about 1/2 mile test and all seemed to be ok...

Then I swapped out the spark plugs this afternoon. The wires look new so I didn't mess with them.

Now it doesn't want to run right. It idles fine, goes into gear, but as soon as I give it some gas upon acceleration it dies.

The fuel filter isn't completely full of fuel.. I let it idle and took a look under the hood. I'm a newbie at this stuff, but it looked like hardly any fuel was passing through the filer. (In-Line fuel filter inbetween the pump and the carb) Filter looks fine, just not much gas in it. Maybe this is why the engine is starving for fuel when I give it gas?? Not sure.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

-Sam

Fishmanndotcom

Loc.
senoia, GA
have you tried taking the filter off just temporarily and trying it? that would tell you right quick whether you needed a new/bigger one or not!

also, make sure your fuel pump is pumping with enough pressure to push the fuel through the filter

-cutts-

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
plug wire not all the way on. spark plug gap. If it was running before check out what you played with.

OP
OP
M

MDBronco

I have the mixture scews at 1.5 turns out

I got new plug wires tonight but they gave me the wrong ones...

Tried to start it up and see if anything magically changed, and now it seems like it isn't getting hardy any fuel through the filter, not enough to turn over.

Plenty of fuel in the tank, I guess it is the fuel pump.

Are all mechanical fuel pumps on 351W the same? I'll order one tomorrow, it's only 20 bucks at Advance

OP
OP
M

MDBronco

Nobody knows??

My brother says the mechanical fuel pump works off the cam, and rarely does it go bad.

66Bronco628

see if your getting a good squirt in the carb. Also my 66 mustang did something similar and it turned out to be vapor lock, new lines and all was cool

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Mechanical pumps nowadays go bad quickly dont make them like they used to. I got tired of swapping them a long time ago run a electric carter p/n 4070 for close to 30 years without a problem. Anyhow enough of that rant. a half full filter at idle is usually not a problem as the pump is not pumping because the fuel is not needed try unhooking the fuel line and stick the end in a jug and crank the engine is it pumping fuel out? If so its not your pump. Sounds like you might have developed a vaccum leak try checking all the manifold and carb bolts check the vaccum lines and any caps covering ports make sure you didnt knock one off. Other things to check make sure the choke is not stuck closed check the accelerator pump make sure its squirting fuel when the throttle is opened. last but not least check the float level on the carb might just be to low shouldnt be but things can change.

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
I would be willing to bet you have a mixed up spark plug wire. The problem started right after you changed it. I had this happen too...I changed plugs, wires, etc after I had some bad gas (not realizing the problem was bad gas)...ended up that in the process, I mixed up a plug-wire (2, actually) and it ran like ass. Got that straightened out, then still had the bad gas, so I drove it, put in some fuel treatment and fresh gas and voila...all was fine. Took me until I put the new gas in to realize it was the gas, not the carb, not the spark, etc. I am a firm believer in the KISS principle....even when I dont follow it like I should (Keep It Simple Stupid). Go back, check your plug wires, remember the 351W works on a different firing order than the 302. Good luck. Let us know what you find.

John

OP
OP
M

MDBronco

Thanks alot guys!

Looks like I have a lot to check.

I am back at school now (West Virginia University!!) and won't be back home for 2 weeks. So, i'll let you know in 2 weeks! thanks!